Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1 - Websphere ; I tried following what it said here with regard to taking a heap dump with WebSphere 6.1 fixpack 9. http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...21242314#java6 I have been trying without any success to get a heap dump. After reading the article mentioned above, I upgraded ...

  1. Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1

    I tried following what it said here with regard to taking a heap dump with WebSphere 6.1 fixpack 9.
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...21242314#java6

    I have been trying without any success to get a heap dump. After reading the article mentioned above, I upgraded the JDK to 1.5.0_18 by installing the WAS fixpack:
    6.1.0-WS-WASSDK-SolarisSparc64-FP0000025.pak

    I made the changes mentioned to the JVM arguments but when I issue a kill -3 to the pid I do not see any heap dump. I assume it will be located in the same directory as where native_stdout.log appears for the JVM. Has anyone here successfully managed to take a heap dump on Solaris 10 with WAS 6.1. If someone has, how have they managed to do it?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1

    In my experience (which doesn't include WAS on your system) heapdumps and javacores are usually written to WAS_HOME. e.g. /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/ProfileName

  3. Re: Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1

    Fair enough but there is nothing there on my systems.

  4. Re: Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1

    set objectName [$AdminControl queryNames WebSphere:type=JVM,process= ,node= $AdminControl invoke $objectName generateHeapDump
    {code}

    You could put this in a shell script for ease of use if you prefer.

  5. Re: Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1

    I have used that technique before but it does not work for Sun....

    WASX7015E: Exception running command: "$AdminControl invoke $objectName generateHeapDump"; exception:
    javax.management.MBeanException
    com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.HeapDumpNot SupportedException: com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.HeapDumpNot SupportedException: Could not take single dump as Sun Microsystems Inc. is not supported

  6. Re: Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1

    heapdump will be dumped (writted) into native_stdout.log

  7. Re: Heap Dump on Solaris 10 for WebSphere 6.1

    Hi, Did you checked in the Server Working Directory ? Heap dumps are usually created in this dir, and the name will be something like java_pid9075.hprof ....

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread