Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServer - Websphere

This is a discussion on Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServer - Websphere ; Hi, I have a Cluster which contains two Websphere App Server 7 and On IBM Web Server (using IBM HTTP Server). I have installed my application successfully by mapping WebServer and Cluster as a target during my installation. It got ...

  1. Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServer

    Hi,

    I have a Cluster which contains two Websphere App Server 7 and On IBM Web Server (using IBM HTTP Server). I have installed my application successfully by mapping WebServer and Cluster as a target during my installation. It got installed succesfully, started but I can only access the instances installed and started on servers part of a Cluster ONLY.

    http://IP_Address:9081/WebPage and http://IP_Address:9082/WebPage

    When I started the app it gave me following messages;

    *InformationApplication BrowserWeb_war on server MDBServer1 and node HMLW08X64BLD2Node01 started successfully.*
    *InformationApplication BrowserWeb_war on server MDBServer2 and node HMLW08X64BLD2Node01 started successfully.*
    *InformationApplication BrowserWeb_war started successfully on all of the servers in cluster LCHFailOverCluster.*

    its only getting completely deployed only on Cluster but *NOT* on a *Webserver*.

    I am trying to implementing a High Availabilty Scenarios here. Problem is if one of my server goes down in Cluster I can not access 'http://IP_Address:*9081*/WebPage' but my application can access using 'http://IP_Address:*9082*/WebPage' but i dont wana do it. I want to access the web app deployed on my Webserver so if any of the app server goes down I dont need to change the URL and process will be transparent.

    *When I investigate the WebServer Log i found these lines in my error log file.*

    [Thu Jul 09 10:40:39 2009] [notice] Child 2952: Starting thread to listen on port 8099.
    [Thu Jul 09 10:50:35 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/IBM/HTTPServer/htdocs/BrowserWeb
    [Thu Jul 09 10:50:37 2009] [notice] mpmstats: rdy 599 bsy 1 rd 0 wr 0 ka 1 log 0 dns 0 cls 0
    [Thu Jul 09 10:50:38 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/IBM/HTTPServer/htdocs/favicon.ico
    [Thu Jul 09 10:50:44 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/IBM/HTTPServer/htdocs/BrowserWeb
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:34 2009] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server.
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:34 2009] [notice] Child 2952: Exit event signaled. Child process is ending.
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:35 2009] [notice] Child 2952: Released the start mutex
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:36 2009] [notice] Child 2952: All worker threads have exited.
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:36 2009] [notice] Child 2952: Child process is exiting
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:36 2009] [notice] Parent: Child process exited successfully.
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:39 2009] [notice] Using config file C:/IBM/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:40 2009] [notice] IBM_HTTP_Server/7.0.0.0 (Win32) configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:40 2009] [notice] Server built: Aug 6 2008 17:12:34
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:40 2009] [notice] Parent: Created child process 4612
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:41 2009] [notice] Using config file C:/IBM/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:42 2009] [notice] Child 4612: Child process is running
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:42 2009] [notice] Child 4612: Acquired the start mutex.
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:42 2009] [notice] Child 4612: Starting 600 worker threads.
    [Thu Jul 09 11:44:42 2009] [notice] Child 4612: Starting thread to listen on port 8099.

    One more issue is that I have started the administration service for my IBM HTTP server but i still can not access the console to manage the server. I have installed the IBM HTTP Server using port *8099* and trying to access 'http://IP_Address:8099/admin' but its not showing anything.

    Your comment will be highly appriciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster and WebServer

    is the application maped to the webserver?
    Are you able to acces the app via the webserver (port 80)?

    Henk

  3. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServer

    Did you regen the plug-in and propagate it to the webserver?

  4. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    Does not exist)

    Regards

  5. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    Web Servers. So you should double check to ensure the info here is correct, like your IHS admin username and password and that you can start and stop the web server from here.
    - i dun think you need to copy the war file to successfully deploy, this should be done when you mapped the application to the web server.
    - can u even access the web app via port 80 now (either to cluster1 or cluster2)? obviously you need to get the basic connectivity between WAS and IHS up first before you want to do the HA/clustering failover on the cluster. Once you have port 80 running, try using the snoop utility to verify your cluster failover is working by looking at the detailed info in snoop, to see you're actually fetching data from cluster1 or cluster2.

  6. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServer

    Target specific application status' its giving me GREEN Arrow (Good) fro cluster but '?' in a circle (UNAVALAIBLE) for webserver.

    I read IBM HTTP SErver use Apache WebServer so it means it should work as tomcat(some of it). So do we have to manually copy any file to 'htdocs' in webserver installtion directory. why I am saying this is beacause when we deploy anything on Tomcat we copy the *.war into webapps folder and when you start the server it get deploye(Extract) as folder name and get deployed.

    One more thing, when I am extracting my Web.war manually inot htdocs folder and try to navigate it using browser its redirecting me towards the home page but with error on screen saying /BrowserWeb/servlet/BrowserServlet is not found on this server.

    How to solve it please help ...anyone

    please

  7. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    Here what I did (Again)

    _*Geneerate Plug-in (By Choosing My Web Server)*_

    InformationPLGC0005I: Plug-in configuration file = C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\Dmgr01\config\ cells\HMLW08X64BLD2Cell01\nodes\HMLW08X64BLD2Node0 1\servers\T24WebServer\plugin-cfg.xml
    InformationPLGC0052I: Plug-in configuration file generation is complete for the Web server. HMLW08X64BLD2Cell01.HMLW08X64BLD2Node01.T24WebServ er.

    _*Propogate Plug-in (By Choosing My Web Server)*_

    InformationPLGC0062I: The plug-in configuration file is propagated from C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\Dmgr01\config\ cells\HMLW08X64BLD2Cell01\nodes\HMLW08X64BLD2Node0 1\servers\T24WebServer\plugin-cfg.xml to C:\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\config\T24WebServer\plug in-cfg.xml on the Web server computer.
    InformationPLGC0048I: The propagation of the plug-in configuration file is complete for the Web server. HMLW08X64BLD2Cell01.HMLW08X64BLD2Node01.T24WebServ er.

    I can see three files onto my web server plug-ins directory (*-cfg and two *-key files)

    _*Web Server Configurations*_

    I have changed the port from 80 to 9090 for IBM HTTP Request but IBM HTTP Admin is same (8008). and I can start and stop the server using my IBM WAS console successfully. Is that OK to change the port???

    _*App Server (Cluster) Configurations*_

    I can successfully accesse my web app deployed on both app servers but not on WebServer as it says UNAVAILABLE in my deployed application properties (see my last post for details)

    Thanks,

  8. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    WAS is not like tomcat in its deployment model. WARs only get installed into application servers like your cluster members, and not to HTTP servers, so it's not surprising that the admin console won't let you deploy there.

    Static content like html files, pictures, etc. can be served by either the HTTP server or application servers. Servlets/JSPs/etc are only served by JEE application servers.

    In your scenario, you want your users to always go to the HTTP server, and not to the application servers directly. You should be able to get to http://ihs.machine.address:9090/WebPage, if not then there's some other problem and let us know. Assuming that 'WebPage' is a servlet/jsp/jsf/some kind of JEE thing, then the WAS plugin in IHS will forward the request to one of the cluster members, such as http://cluster.member.1.address:9081/WebPage. If cluster member 1 is down, the plugin will route the request to cluster member 2. If both cluster members are down, you'll get an error page back to the browser.

    You can change any port numbers that you might want to, but you'll generally have to change other configurations as well. For example, if you've changed the listening port number on your IHS server to 9090 from the default 80, you'll need to change the WAS virtual host to also listen for requests on :9090, otherwise requests will not get routed to WAS.

    Ken

  9. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    Thanks ken for your reply and now it make some sense.
    It is JSP and I think thats what it is happning when I am trying to access http://IP_Address:*9090*/BrowserWeb/...BrowserServlet and its getting timedout. Where do i have change the virtual host settings in WAS. using Webserver menu???? or config files inetrnally???

    Thanks again

  10. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    HostName = * : Port = 9090

    ??? and i think I need to regenrate and repropogate the plug-ins for my webserver to cater these new changes?? and restart evrything again to get some results?

    This is just for my confirmation.

  11. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    Hi,

    I did the above settings (added a virtual host and restarted everything again and regenrated and re-propogated the plug-ins) but i still can not access my webpage from my Webserver (Following address)

    http://127.0.0.1:9090/BrowserWeb/servlet/BrowserServlet

    _*Message Return On FireFox*_

    Not Found

    The requested URL /BrowserWeb/servlet/BrowserServlet was not found on this server.
    IBM_HTTP_Server at 127.0.0.1 Port 9090

    But I can access both of my webapp from application server (9081/9082) (following address)

    http://127.0.0.1:9081/BrowserWeb/servlet/BrowserServlet

    One more thing which is worth mentioning here is when I am using an IP address instead of 127.0.0.1 i can not even access from my app servers

    any suggestions??

  12. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    sjunejo@temenos.com wrote:
    > Thanks ken for your reply and now it make some sense.
    > It is JSP and I think thats what it is happning when I am trying to access http://IP_Address:*9090*/BrowserWeb/...BrowserServlet and its getting timedout. Where do i have change the virtual host settings in WAS. using Webserver menu???? or config files inetrnally???
    >
    > Thanks again

    Bring up the WAS admin console, then Environment -> Virtual hosts.

    Ken

  13. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    1. Check your httpd.conf, there must be lines like this:
    {code}
    LoadModule was_ap20_module "C:\Program Files\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\bin\mod_was_ap20_http .dll"
    WebSpherePluginConfig "C:\Program Files\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\config\Node01Web01\pl ugin-cfg.xml"
    {code}
    2. Check your plugin-cfg.xml which is pointed to in above line.
    Check contents of log file, pointed to in directive
    Check that port 9090 is presented in
    Check that URL of web-application (/BrowserWeb/*) is presented in

  14. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    Mate i think I have problem here (I am using WAS V7.0 ND with IBM HTTP Server V7 no fixpack yet).

    1. Check your httpd.conf, there must be lines like this:

    LoadModule was_ap20_module "C:\Program Files\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\bin\mod_was_ap20_http .dll"
    WebSpherePluginConfig "C:\Program Files\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\config\Node01Web01\pl ugin-cfg.xml"

    Answers:
    There is no 'bin' directory to hold 'mod_was_ap20_http.dll' in *C:\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\*. There are only two directory under Plugins which are 'config' and 'logs'. and above two lines are missing in *httpd.conf* file.

    2. Check your plugin-cfg.xml which is pointed to in above line.
    Check contents of log file, pointed to in directive
    Check that port 9090 is presented in
    Check that URL of web-application (/BrowserWeb/*) is presented in

    Answers:
    ******* plugin-cfg.xml has no entries of the above two lines at all.
    ******* 'logs' directory for a webserver is Empty (Nothing is there)
    ******* 9090 is present in virtual host group
    ******* /BrowserWeb/* is present is

    ******* Its look like i have some huge problem????
    Let me recap.... I have installed WAS V7 ND (64-bit) and Installed the IBM HTTP Server V7 (32-bit) both on Windows 2008 Server. I have started the IBM HTTP Server service from services and created a new web server using WAS admin console. I have installed my Web App targeting my Cluster(with 2 app servers) and WebServer. Application got installed and started. I have generated the Plugins and Propogated it with no errors at all. Restarted evrything.

    Does something missing in here???? I have seen documentation for WAS 6.1 ND and it was showing HTTP Server Plugin Installtion as a separate installation but i couldn't found anything like that for WAS7.

    Please help i am confuse now.????

  15. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    Please see my above post. I think I haven't installed the plug-ins completly. I have serach for apache plug-in for WAS and followed the following link

    http://www.prasannatech.net/2008/07/...-weblogic.html

    Zip file contains the mod_was_ap20_http.dll for WAS V5.1 module in it and I copied it to my 'HTTP_Server_Installed_Dir/Plugins/bin' directory and update my httpd.conf file with following two lines for testing;

    LoadModule was_ap20_module "C:\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\bin\mod_was_ap20_http.dl l"
    WebSpherePluginConfig "C:\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\config\WebServer\plugin-cfg.xml"

    *Now my IBM HTTP Server failed to get even started. where can i get the WAS V7 Plug-ins package.*

    _*Evgeniy*_

    Do I have to add the above two lines entries in plugin-cfg.xml as well or only in httpd.conf file

    Thanks.

  16. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    My examples were for WAS ND 6.1 and IBM HTTP Server V6

    I suppose you have to read this
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...lWebIHS70.html

    WebSphere Application Server distribution can be 32-bit and 64-bit.

    If you are installing everything on the same operating system then you have to install following list:
    1. IBM WebSphere Application Server ND V7 64-bit
    2. IBM HTTP Server V7 64-bit (from Supplements package)
    3. IBM WebSphere Web Server Plugins V7 64-bit (from Supplements package)
    (installation wizard can configure HTTP Server during installation)

    After completition of installation check httpd.conf file of HTTP Server (conf subdirectory of HTTP Server installation), for the following lines (path can be different):
    {code}
    LoadModule was_ap22_module C:\Program Files\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\bin\mod_was_ap22_http .dll
    WebSpherePluginConfig C:\Program Files\IBM\HTTPServer\Plugins\config\webserver1\plu gin-cfg.xml
    {code}
    Generate plugin configuration for web-server in application server console.
    Double check that generated plugin-cfg.xml is on the same path, that pointed in WebSpherePluginConfig directive.
    If not, change path in WebSpherePluginConfig directive to point to generated plugin-cfg.xml
    Check contents of plugin-cfg.xml.
    Start or restart IBM HTTP Server.
    Try to access your application using web-server.

  17. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    I am sorry i have tried my level best and still trying to get it. Could it be possible to have a link to supliment package please to donwload.

    Thanks

  18. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    If you purchased WebSphere Application Server V7 ND, then "Supplements"(2 CDs) must be part of product distribution CDs.
    I don't know if this plugin available in trial version of product.

  19. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServe

    No, I have downloaded it from IBM website (actually my line manager did). I have just sent a request to an official IBM support to gave us the link to download.

    Thanks and Thanks all for your help i think i will sort it out the issue as soon as i will the get the correct installation packages. If problem persist i will post it back here.

    Regards

  20. Re: Problem In Deploying Enterprise Web Application On Cluster andWebServer

    sjunejo@temenos.com wrote:
    > Target specific application status' its giving me GREEN Arrow (Good) fro cluster but '?' in a circle (UNAVALAIBLE) for webserver.
    >
    > I read IBM HTTP SErver use Apache WebServer so it means it should work as tomcat(some of it). So do we have to manually copy any file to 'htdocs' in webserver installtion directory. why I am saying this is beacause when we deploy anything on Tomcat we copy the *.war into webapps folder and when you start the server it get deploye(Extract) as folder name and get deployed.
    >
    > One more thing, when I am extracting my Web.war manually inot htdocs folder and try to navigate it using browser its redirecting me towards the home page but with error on screen saying /BrowserWeb/servlet/BrowserServlet is not found on this server.
    >
    > How to solve it please help ...anyone
    >
    > please

    In this case i would spend 2 hours on reading infocenter which explains
    how the the websphere and the IBM HTTP Server products works.

+ Reply to Thread