Mapping to web servers with scripting - Websphere

This is a discussion on Mapping to web servers with scripting - Websphere ; I am experimenting with the new scripting library and using properties files for configuration in WAS 7.0. One thing I would like to be able to do is to map an application being installed to a web server and to ...

  1. Mapping to web servers with scripting

    I am experimenting with the new scripting library and using properties files for configuration in WAS 7.0.

    One thing I would like to be able to do is to map an application being installed to a web server and to a non-default VirtualHost. I know this is possible with the older scriting commands but I was looking to see if there was anything in the new features that made this easier.

    I notice in the scripting library there are a few functions, like 'installAppWithTargetOption' and 'installAppModulesToDiffServers...' that mention deploying to multiple servers. These commands refer to the multiple server targets as both application servers.

    My question is if these functions can take the name of a web server as one of the values?

    Also, the only function in the script library that mentions the VirtualHost is the 'installAppWithDefaultBindingOption' function. Is there another way to provide the VirtualHost binding without overriding the other default bindings?

    Thanks,
    Stuart Smith
    Administration Lead
    Web Age Solutions
    www.webagesolutions.com

  2. Re: Mapping to web servers with scripting & BUGS

    I have some more progress to report on this...

    First off I would like to warn anyone else using the scripting library that I have found what appear to be defects in some of the AdminApplication library functions. The most serious is that the 'installAppModulesToDiffServersWithMapModulesToSer versOption' function seems to be hardcoded with some of the values from the DeafultApplication.ear sample application! The 'installAppModulesToDiffServersWithPatternMatching ' and 'installAppModulesToMultiServersWithPatternMatchin g' also seem to map EJB modules to one server and Web modules to a second server and will fail if you use an EAR that does not have both types of modules. These functions are also not well documented that they behave this way.

    Anyone know the best way to report these errors in the script library?

    I was able to do what I wanted which is to map an EAR file to an application server and a web server. I used the 'installAppWithTargetOption' function which takes two servers and properly maps all modules in the EAR to both servers. This function can take a web server as one of the servers as long as the web server and application server are on the same node. This might be common in stand-alone Application Server profiles.

    I could not also map to a virtual host using the script library so I simply modified the application configuration for this after installation.

    Overall I must say that the functions in the AdminApplication script library are very underwhelming. The rest of the library seems OK but this area seems especially weak. I think complicating this fact is that application installation through scripting is one of the more difficult things to do because there are so many options to figure. Of course this means there is a great need for the scripting library to simplify things which is why I think the weakness of the library right now is so frustrating.

    What we need is an open source project to further develop the scripting library...

    Thanks,
    Stuart Smith

+ Reply to Thread