Can an Entity EJB be used with DB2 data encryption - Websphere

This is a discussion on Can an Entity EJB be used with DB2 data encryption - Websphere ; Data privacy is a sensitive issue in certain applications. In DB2 data can be encrypted as in the following example from this developerworks article: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db...8benfield.html create table emp (ssn varchar(124) for bit data); set encryption password = 'Ben123'; insert into ...

  1. Can an Entity EJB be used with DB2 data encryption

    Data privacy is a sensitive issue in certain applications. In DB2 data can be encrypted as in the following example
    from this developerworks article: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db...8benfield.html

    create table emp (ssn varchar(124) for bit data);
    set encryption password = 'Ben123';
    insert into emp (ssn) values(encrypt('222-46-1904'));
    insert into emp (ssn) values(encrypt('765-23-3221'));
    select decrypt_char(ssn) from emp;

    Can encrypted data be used with an Entity EJB? If so how does the encryption password get set? If not, the use of entity beans in enterprise applications with sensitive data could be limited.

  2. Re: Can an Entity EJB be used with DB2 data encryption

    hi dude,
    what the problem u r exactly facing?
    Write all ur excripted logic in ur java class and send that data to DB.
    Y do u want DB should encript ur data?
    is there any specfic requirment like that?
    data base needs always suitable data type and length.
    your data base is least bodered about wt data it is.
    it can encripted or decripted or any data .
    data type should match and length.

    Pls let me know if u have any queries??

    Goodluck
    WAS_help

  3. Re: Can an Entity EJB be used with DB2 data encryption

    Thanks for the reply, but I need to know if DB2's encryption mechanism can be used with EJB 2.0 entity beans. Not general Java encryption.

  4. Re: Can an Entity EJB be used with DB2 data encryption

    Hi Bruce,

    I'm double checking with the EJBDeploy team, but I am mostly sure that data encryption cannot be done using container managed persistence (CMP) entity beans in EJB 2.X. I have not tested it myself, but it should be possible to use data encryption with bean managed persistence beans.

    Likewise in EJB 3.X, JPA does not support data encryption, but there is a requirement to support it in the future - see [here|https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-763] for more details. In the meantime, if you are planning to use JPA, you could accomplish this using JPA listeners.

    Hope this helps,

    Andy

  5. Re: Can an Entity EJB be used with DB2 data encryption

    Thanks Andy, this is the type of information that I need. I suspect that that encryption might not be supported in EJB 2.0 with CMP and that is exactly where I need it. Still, it is surprising that in a world where compliance with government security and privacy guidelines (e.g., health care - HIPAA, banking, security of children in educational settings) encryption of data is not fully supported in a system that is supposed to be an industrial strength enterprise solution.

    I'm wondering if there could be some work-around that IBM could provide since this would be valuable in a number of settings. Part of the solution might be to make use of a converter or a composer that translates to and from the encrypted values.

    Any further information would be helpful.

    -Bruce

+ Reply to Thread