wstemp filesystem full. How to trace adminclient connections? - Websphere

This is a discussion on wstemp filesystem full. How to trace adminclient connections? - Websphere ; Hi all, we're facing a problem with filesystem getting full on a WAS6.1.0.13ND installation on Solaris. The wstemp directory of the cell profile is getting full of anonymous* subdirectories. According to IBM docs, this is due to wsadmin scripts (or ...

  1. wstemp filesystem full. How to trace adminclient connections?

    Hi all,
    we're facing a problem with filesystem getting full on a WAS6.1.0.13ND installation on Solaris.
    The wstemp directory of the cell profile is getting full of anonymous* subdirectories. According to IBM docs, this is due to wsadmin scripts (or some external program using Websphere API) that modify the configuration but forget to do a save() or discard().
    the problem is that we are not able to trace which is the script or programa that does these numerous connections and leave all the workspace copies under wstemp.
    So the question is:
    Is there a way to trace the adminclient connections and operations (Ideally, from where, who, script/program name,...)?

    Thanks in advance
    Roberto

  2. Re: wstemp filesystem full. How to trace adminclient connections?

    > we're facing a problem with filesystem getting full on a WAS6.1.0.13ND
    > installation on Solaris.
    > The wstemp directory of the cell profile is getting full of anonymous*
    > subdirectories. According to IBM docs, this is due to wsadmin scripts (or
    > some external program using Websphere API) that modify the configuration
    > but forget to do a save() or discard().
    > the problem is that we are not able to trace which is the script or
    > programa that does these numerous connections and leave all the workspace
    > copies under wstemp.
    > So the question is:
    > Is there a way to trace the adminclient connections and operations
    > (Ideally, from where, who, script/program name,...)?

    Is there no information in the subdirectories that could give a clue at what
    is being changed, so you could guess where the initiative comes from.

  3. Re: wstemp filesystem full. How to trace adminclient connections?

    Hi, you can delete these files without issue. You can turn on tracing on the dmgr, but I am not sure what you are looking for.

    Regards,
    brian

  4. Re: wstemp filesystem full. How to trace adminclient connections?

    Hi, I think I got the answers:
    - creating a configService object on the client side creates always a workspace, even if you don't create or modify nothing (for exemple, if you just execute a queryConfigObjects().
    - workspace name is called "anonymousxxxxxx" for any client app using the websphere API.
    - finalizing the client app not calling discard() or save() (even if you didn't change anything) leaves the directory unchanged. (Yes, this is stated in BOLD in the API documentation, but I thought it was only needed if you made some changes).
    - not destroying the configService object from the client application seems to leave something "open" on the dmgr side, that ends with a freezed dmgr yielding CPU starvation and out of heap space. so please, if you use the websphere API for managing the configuration, be sure that you destroy all the configService objects that you create.
    - finally, tracing the connection using the trace specification shown on the first post allows you to see exactly which methods of the api are called (warning: trace files grow very very fast). However, you can't see which OS process or program is calling them (they could be even remote calls from other machines, in this case maybe a netstat could help...) so you'll have to guess.

    Thanks anyway for your help, Brian!

    Roberto

+ Reply to Thread