TWO ND profiles - Websphere

This is a discussion on TWO ND profiles - Websphere ; 1)Can We install Two Network Deployment Mgr in a single physical machine? 2) is it possible to create two ND Mgr profile in single machine? If yes what are the things needs to be taken care.. like cell name, port ...

  1. TWO ND profiles

    1)Can We install Two Network Deployment Mgr in a single physical machine?

    2) is it possible to create two ND Mgr profile in single machine?

    If yes what are the things needs to be taken care.. like cell name, port conflicts?

    Thanks and Regards

    Selva B

  2. Re: TWO ND profiles

    Yes. Well I haven't done it for quite sometime, but yea I've created 2 ND profiles before. If you're not planning to run it simultaneously, then I guess port conflict wouldn't be a concern, but if you want to bring them up at the same time, definitely you'll have to set unique ports for each profile.

    I remember having this one problem though (not sure if it's a problem anyway). Whenever I access the admin console for Dmgr_01, and open up another browser and log in to admin console of Dmgr_02, it'll state that there's someone already logged in and I will have to log out from Dmgr_01 before logging in to Dmgr_02. It's like as if it shares the same admin console. Okay am not sure if that make sense anyway, but yea, you can have 2 or more dmgr profiles in a single machine.

  3. Re: TWO ND profiles

    gadidot@gmail.com wrote:
    > Yes. Well I haven't done it for quite sometime, but yea I've created 2 ND profiles before. If you're not planning to run it simultaneously, then I guess port conflict wouldn't be a concern, but if you want to bring them up at the same time, definitely you'll have to set unique ports for each profile.
    >
    > I remember having this one problem though (not sure if it's a problem anyway). Whenever I access the admin console for Dmgr_01, and open up another browser and log in to admin console of Dmgr_02, it'll state that there's someone already logged in and I will have to log out from Dmgr_01 before logging in to Dmgr_02. It's like as if it shares the same admin console. Okay am not sure if that make sense anyway, but yea, you can have 2 or more dmgr profiles in a single machine.

    For your login issue....I ran into a Firefox bug, where it wouldn't
    differentiate between two realms based solely on the port number. So, it
    would send the same JSESSIONID cookie to
    http://localhost:9060/ibm/console as to
    http://localhost:9061/ibm/console. This drove me crazy and I actually
    raised a PMR with IBM, until I realized it worked fine with Internet
    Explorer and Opera.

    Next time you do this, try a different browser.

    Ken

  4. Re: TWO ND profiles

    Hi,
    Thanks for the response.

    Can i change the default cellname of a Network deployment while installing itself? say i'm installing WAS v6.1 as Network Deployment profile.

    Thanks in advance

    Selva

  5. Re: TWO ND profiles

    Hi, When you create a profile there is an option to change the node name and cell name. Please have a look at the Info Center for the commands options.

    Regards,
    Brian

  6. Re: TWO ND profiles

    Hi,

    Ya there is a option while creating the profile. But i'm asking if i want to install ND-MGR profile during the installation of product binaries, is there any option?

    Thanks and Regards
    Selva B

  7. Re: TWO ND profiles

    yes, install using the response file. See the InfoCenter for more details.

    Henk

  8. Re: TWO ND profiles

    Hi, yes, there is an option that is given during the installation.

    Regards,
    Brian

  9. Re: TWO ND profiles

    Hi,

    Yes, it is possible to install 2 Dmgr profile same physical machines,

    beloew are things that are taken care
    i)Change the Dmgr name ( if it conflicts)
    ii)Change the cell name, node name ( " )
    iii) Unique port number needs to create new profile, so in our case , when you create the 2nd dmgr profile, it will be created systemmatically, otherwise give next port number
    thanks,
    karuppiah

  10. Re: TWO ND profiles

    I came across the same problem. If you are using the same username
    open different browsers instead of the same browser or tab option. It
    worked fine for me on IE

  11. Re: TWO ND profiles

    You can create 2 different dmgr profiles from the {WAS INSTALL ROOT}/
    bin uses the "manageprofiles.sh".

    The following command line arguments are required for this mode.
    Command-line arguments are case sensitive.
    -create: Creates a new profile. Specify -help -create -templatePath
    to get template-specific help information.
    -templatePath: The fully qualified path name of the profile template
    that is located on the file system. The following example selects a
    template: -templatePath /profileTemplates/

    -profileName: The name of the profile.
    -profilePath: The intended location of the profile in the file system.

    The following command line arguments are optional, and have no default
    values.
    Command-line arguments are case sensitive.
    -isDefault: Make this profile the default target of commands that do
    not use their profile parameter.
    -omitAction: Omit optional features.

    Use the dmgr template from the profileTemplate folder.
    Here you can also specify the nodeName and cellName parameters.

    Thanks,
    Aish

  12. Re: TWO ND profiles

    Hi,
    Yes you can install multiple instances and/or profiles.
    If you want to install 2 or more instances of WAS then you have to
    install to a different physical location, e.g. /local/WebSphere/
    Appserver/0, /local/WebSphere/Appserver/1 etc etc. If this is the case
    then you have to install with a different base port range with a
    typical gap of 50. It would be advisable in this case to also run the
    Dmgr instances as a different corresponding user, e.g. a_was0, a_was1
    etc. This was you can have the same cell name as the other instance
    and different binaries which can be upgraded seperately.
    The other way, which is how people seemed to be suggesting in the
    other posts, is to install each different Dmgr install as a profile
    rather than another WAS instance. This way you cannot have the same
    cell name and of course the port ranges will still have to be
    different. The biggest drawback for me, is the shared WAS binaries,
    i.e. you cannot upgrade one project only.
    We use both methods here, i.e. on our Dev Dmgr we have 9 WAS instances
    of which there are 18 profiles under just instance 8.
    Obviously the Dmgr to host this many JVMs must have enough disk space
    and memory.
    You can also run a Windows Dmgr against Unix App servers and vice-
    versa.
    Make sense?
    Regards,
    Paul Ottaway