was.status.socket - Websphere

This is a discussion on was.status.socket - Websphere ; When doing a process listing on a machine with WAS installed I notice the JVM argument "-Dwas.status.socket". The value is invariably an integer so I made the assumption that this was a port I could connect to with an appropriate ...

  1. was.status.socket

    When doing a process listing on a machine with WAS installed I notice the JVM argument "-Dwas.status.socket".

    The value is invariably an integer so I made the assumption that this was a port I could connect to with an appropriate client and gather status information. However, a netstat reveals that no such port is open.

    I've tried this on WAS versions 5.1, 6.0 and 6.1 on both AIX and Solaris, same result.

    Does anyone know what this argument is for ?

    Thanks in advance
    Bob

  2. Re: was.status.socket

    > When doing a process listing on a machine with WAS installed I notice the
    > JVM argument "-Dwas.status.socket".
    >
    > The value is invariably an integer so I made the assumption that this was
    > a port I could connect to with an appropriate client and gather status
    > information. However, a netstat reveals that no such port is open.
    >
    > I've tried this on WAS versions 5.1, 6.0 and 6.1 on both AIX and Solaris,
    > same result.
    >
    > Does anyone know what this argument is for ?

    "
    IBM® WebSphere® Application Sever uses the was.status.socket property to
    tell the "launcher" about the start-up status. The Application Server
    launcher could also be the NodeAgent.
    Before an application server is launched, the launcher acquires a free port
    from the operating system and then sets the was.status.socket property and
    gives it to Application Server during the launch process.

    WebSphere Application Server sends the status about the start up to this
    port and the launcher grabs the information and proceeds. This property is
    dynamically set by the launching application and passed on to Application
    Server.
    "
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg21231480

  3. Re: was.status.socket

    Found the answer from an internal forum at my workplace as follows

    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg21231480
    "... uses the was.status.socket property to tell the "launcher" about the start-up status."

    Did a test and verified that the socket is only active during startup which is why I couldn't see it with netstat on a running instance. Do the same thing just after you've started the server and you'll see the socket listening and though go to time wait and eventually drop off the list.

    thanks in advance to anyone who may have been trying to find the answer

+ Reply to Thread