Generating markup using XML and XSL - Websphere

This is a discussion on Generating markup using XML and XSL - Websphere ; Hi, I have a requirement where I have to generate Markup using XML and XSL in WebSphere Portal 6.0 using JSR 168 portlets. I need to also provide portlet urls (render / action) on the views (i.e. on the XSLs ...

  1. Generating markup using XML and XSL

    Hi,

    I have a requirement where I have to generate Markup using XML and XSL in WebSphere Portal 6.0 using JSR 168 portlets. I need to also provide portlet urls (render / action) on the views (i.e. on the XSLs corresponding to the view / edit mode).

    Any help/suggestion to move ahead will be highly appreciable.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Hemant K.

  2. Re: Generating markup using XML and XSL

    First off let me ask a question are you saying you need to provide portlets urls directly to the portlets themselves? If so look at the single portlet refresh.

    Are you saying for the portlet markup you want it just to return xml? what are you going to return it to?

    Jim

  3. Re: Generating markup using XML and XSL

    Hi,

    My objective is to tranform XML data into the view for the portlet application i.e. to transform XML using XSLT into HTML. The portlet application will not have any JSPs, instead it will use XML to display the content and XSL will be used for style.

    By portlet url here I mean, simple render and action urls which are directed to the same portlet. Just like we used to have portlet:renderUrl and portlet:actionUrl in portlet JSPs.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Hemant K.

  4. Re: Generating markup using XML and XSL

    I am still not quite sure what you are going at here.

    I guess the biggest point of confusion are you still planning on having the themes call the individual portlets to render or were you hoping to write a javascript handler that would call the portlets individually to render?

    This is similar to was was brought out in 6.1 with the web 2.0 theme.

    Portal 6.0 does not have a good way to individually target portlets to load just the markup. You can use the single portlet refresh urls and call them via javascript to load the components you need on the page, having the doView of the portlet out put the xml to the javascript handler which does the xslt translation if you want.

    Although this seems like alot of overhead in a 6.0 environment. One of the big things you would lose is the state saving information that portal does as single portlet refresh uses.

    If you want to generate urls in the xml you will need to use the single portlet refresh so you can call just that portlet to update

  5. Re: Generating markup using XML and XSL

    Is the question about whats the equivalent for portletAPIs such as
    encodeURI , encodeNamespace and createURI in XSLs as provided for
    Jsps?
    If so, I've heard a bit about XSLTPortlet but never really
    found a good documentation on it. The thing i did is, get the
    transformation done via jaxp, inject the html into a jsp page. I used
    only doView() method for identifying the actions using user defined
    mode and action hidden params, never really tried using the
    portletApis such as URIAction to trigger actionPerformed().
    Is there any good approach?.... Please let me know.

+ Reply to Thread