IHS v6.1 on Solaris 10 - Error occurred during initialization ofVM. - Websphere

This is a discussion on IHS v6.1 on Solaris 10 - Error occurred during initialization ofVM. - Websphere ; I was installing IHS v6.1 in silent mode on a Solaris 10 zone but it ran for less than a minute before it stopped. No log, no nothing. When I typed java -version, the following error was displayed: "Error occurred ...

  1. IHS v6.1 on Solaris 10 - Error occurred during initialization ofVM.

    I was installing IHS v6.1 in silent mode on a Solaris 10 zone but it ran for less than a minute before it stopped. No log, no nothing.

    When I typed java -version, the following error was displayed:
    "Error occurred during initialization of VM.
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap."

    ulimit -a shows that the virtual memory allocated is unlimited. I typed in java -Xmx2G -version and the java version was displayed. I installed IHS by running setup.jar as follows:

    java -Xmx2G -jar setup.jar -options responsefiles.txt -silent

    The installation for IHS went well, except for the plugin (I tried reinstalling but it didn't work. Installing only the plugin also failed). It complaint of not having enough space, which is not true. I have about 8Gb reserved for the installation.

    swapinfo shows that the virtual memory is free and the uptime shows that server was booted for merely an hour. However I solved the plugin issue by copying the whole Plugins folder from a different installation done on a separate zone. I did a similar installation on 2 other zones, and all went perfectly well.

    I've tried setting a different value for the virtual memory but it didn't work either.

    Appreciate any advice offered.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: IHS v6.1 on Solaris 10 - Error occurred during initializationof VM.

    gadidot@gmail.com wrote:
    > I was installing IHS v6.1 in silent mode on a Solaris 10 zone but it ran for less than a minute before it stopped. No log, no nothing.
    >
    > When I typed java -version, the following error was displayed:
    > "Error occurred during initialization of VM.
    > Could not reserve enough space for object heap."
    >
    > ulimit -a shows that the virtual memory allocated is unlimited. I typed in java -Xmx2G -version and the java version was displayed. I installed IHS by running setup.jar as follows:
    >
    > java -Xmx2G -jar setup.jar -options responsefiles.txt -silent
    >
    > The installation for IHS went well, except for the plugin (I tried reinstalling but it didn't work. Installing only the plugin also failed). It complaint of not having enough space, which is not true. I have about 8Gb reserved for the installation.
    >
    > swapinfo shows that the virtual memory is free and the uptime shows that server was booted for merely an hour. However I solved the plugin issue by copying the whole Plugins folder from a different installation done on a separate zone. I did a similar installation on 2 other zones, and all went perfectly well.
    >
    > I've tried setting a different value for the virtual memory but it didn't work either.
    >
    > Appreciate any advice offered.
    >
    > Thanks.

    is your /tmp filesystem almost full? are you certain you have 8G free on
    the filesystem you're installing to?

    Ken

+ Reply to Thread