Replacing class files without rebooting application? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Replacing class files without rebooting application? - Websphere ; Ever since I switched from WAS 6.0 to WAS 6.1 (using for development), I can not replace induvidual Java classes without having to restart the application. Is this no longer a allowed?...

  1. Replacing class files without rebooting application?

    Ever since I switched from WAS 6.0 to WAS 6.1 (using for development), I can not replace induvidual Java classes without having to restart the application. Is this no longer a allowed?

  2. Re: Replacing class files without rebooting application?

    I am running a Dynamic Web App that is Java 5 compliant. JSP files can not be reloaded either. I am running the server in debug mode. Just thought I'd add this info.

  3. Re: Replacing class files without rebooting application?

    WAS defintately reload your class based on the Refresh interval you have provided without restart if it is in debug mode.

  4. Re: Replacing class files without rebooting application?

    On Oct 17, 1:44*pm, Nirav Mehta wrote:
    > WAS defintately reload your class based on the Refresh interval you have provided without restart if it is in debug mode.

    We have hot code replacement working in RAD 7.0.0.7 with the included
    WAS 6.1.0.13 runtime. Here is what we found we had to do to get hot
    code replacement working:

    Remove All applications from your server
    Stop your server
    Double-click your server in RAD in the Servers tab
    Expand Automatic publishing
    Select Never Publish Automatically
    Expand Publishing
    Select Run server with resources within workspace
    Check Minimize application files copied to server
    Check Optimize server for testing and developing
    Click Save
    From the RAD Menu select Project --> Build Automatically
    Start your server in DEBUG mode (this will not work otherwise)
    Add all the applications back to the server

    You should not be able to make a change to a regular class (NOT and
    EJB or Web Service), and save that change without having to republish
    the EAR or recycle the App Server. I do not know of a way (though one
    may exist) to hot replace a class in a jar that is deployed to WAS not
    being controlled in RAD however.

    Some J2EE Guy

  5. Re: Replacing class files without rebooting application?

    On Oct 17, 2:40*pm, "sgibso...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > On Oct 17, 1:44*pm, Nirav Mehta wrote:
    >
    > > WAS defintately reload your class based on the Refresh interval you have provided without restart if it is in debug mode.

    > We have hot code replacement working in RAD 7.0.0.7 with the included
    > WAS 6.1.0.13 runtime. *Here is what we found we had to do to get hot
    > code replacement working:
    >
    > Remove All applications from your server
    > Stop your server
    > Double-click your server in RAD in the Servers tab
    > Expand Automatic publishing
    > Select Never Publish Automatically
    > Expand Publishing
    > Select Run server with resources within workspace
    > Check Minimize application files copied to server
    > Check Optimize server for testing and developing
    > Click Save
    > From the RAD Menu select Project --> Build Automatically
    > Start your server in DEBUG mode (this will not work otherwise)
    > Add all the applications back to the server
    >
    > You should not be able to make a change to a regular class (NOT and
    > EJB or Web Service), and save that change without having to republish
    > the EAR or recycle the App Server. *I do not know of a way (though one
    > may exist) to hot replace a class in a jar that is deployed to WAS not
    > being controlled in RAD however.
    >
    > Some J2EE Guy

    "You should not" (in the last paragraph above) should have been "You
    should now"

+ Reply to Thread