extracting some, but not all, msgs from a QL - Websphere

This is a discussion on extracting some, but not all, msgs from a QL - Websphere ; Hi Forum, I'm a relatively new MQ Admin at a site where a single, 'master' QL has been defined previously and is now in production use on an MQ 6.x server. Although I question the usefulness of having one 'master' ...

  1. extracting some, but not all, msgs from a QL

    Hi Forum, I'm a relatively new MQ Admin at a site where a single, 'master' QL has been defined previously and is now in production use on an MQ 6.x server.

    Although I question the usefulness of having one 'master' QL onto which perhaps 10 different kinds of messages are placed, I'm wondering what the best way of extracting messages from the QL is, based on content (for example, information in the payload data itself, such as an identifying string, etc.)

    TIA
    ty

  2. Re: extracting some, but not all, msgs from a QL

    I'm wondering what the best way of extracting messages from the QL is, based on content (for example, information in the payload data itself, such as an identifying string, etc.)

    The app needs to browse each message on the queue (MQGET browe first - browse next) and look at the message data. When it has the message it needs, do a destructive MQGET.

    The Correlation Id field in the Message Descriptor is a good way of identifying particular messages. MQ can index on this field and do direct MQGETs of matching messages.

    MQ v7.0 also introduces Selectors to the MQI.

    My advice is to redesign the system before its too late. Use separate queues for various types of messages that need to be processed separately.

    MQ is a FIFO queueing mechanism, its not peek-and-pick !

    HTH,
    Glenn.

+ Reply to Thread