cpu usage - Websphere

This is a discussion on cpu usage - Websphere ; Hi all, I'm running websphere 6.1 into a T2000 server with sunOs 5.10. It seems that the cpu is not much used although I'm running a stress test and I expect to have 100% usage. The jvm is using never ...

  1. cpu usage

    Hi all, I'm running websphere 6.1 into a T2000 server with sunOs 5.10.
    It seems that the cpu is not much used although I'm running a stress
    test and I expect to have 100% usage.
    The jvm is using never more than 3 cpu of the 24 available at the same
    time and the total cpu usage is ever less than 6%.

    What do you suggest me to check?

    Regards,

    Marco Strullato

  2. Re: cpu usage

    > Hi all, I'm running websphere 6.1 into a T2000 server with sunOs 5.10.
    > It seems that the cpu is not much used although I'm running a stress
    > test and I expect to have 100% usage.
    > The jvm is using never more than 3 cpu of the 24 available at the same
    > time and the total cpu usage is ever less than 6%.
    >
    > What do you suggest me to check?

    I'd suggest to review the pre-conditions before considering it's not a
    normal situation.

    Check application response times.

    If the application response times are acceptable, then you have a light and
    performant application and you're a happy man.

    If response times are not good, then you have bottlenecks and you're on
    track for diagnostic, profiling, tuning and optimizations.

    Also check the actual load placed on the application.

    If not producing enough load, then you have excellent response times and low
    CPU usage, and you think you're a happy man, but you're not because the test
    was not relevant.

    HTH.

  3. Re: cpu usage

    Hello, I forgot to report that I exclude application issues. This is a
    jvm or hardware mis-configuration.
    With a stress test (no think times) I expected to have 100% of
    utilization but I can not go up to 30%...

    Regards,

    Marco

    On 15 Ott, 10:32, "Ben_" wrote:
    > > Hi all, I'm running websphere 6.1 into a T2000 server with sunOs 5.10.
    > > It seems that the cpu is not much used although I'm running a stress
    > > test and I expect to have 100% usage.
    > > The jvm is using never more than 3 cpu of the 24 available at the same
    > > time and the total cpu usage is ever less than 6%.

    > > What do you suggest me to check?

    > I'd suggest to review the pre-conditions before considering it's not a
    > normal situation.
    >
    > Check application response times.
    >
    > If the application response times are acceptable, then you have a light and
    > performant application and you're a happy man.
    >
    > If response times are not good, then you have bottlenecks and you're on
    > track for diagnostic, profiling, tuning and optimizations.
    >
    > Also check the actual load placed on the application.
    >
    > If not producing enough load, then you have excellent response times and low
    > CPU usage, and you think you're a happy man, but you're not because the test
    > was not relevant.
    >
    > HTH.

  4. Re: cpu usage

    On Oct 15, 2:54*pm, Marco wrote:
    > Hello, I forgot to report that I exclude application issues. This is a
    > jvm or hardware mis-configuration.
    > With a stress test (no think times) I expected to have 100% of
    > utilization but I can not go up to 30%...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Marco
    >
    > On 15 Ott, 10:32, "Ben_" wrote:
    >

    > > > Hi all, I'm running websphere 6.1 into a T2000 server with sunOs 5.10..
    > > > It seems that the cpu is not much used although I'm running a stress
    > > > test and I expect to have 100% usage.
    > > > The jvm is using never more than 3 cpu of the 24 available at the same
    > > > time and the total cpu usage is ever less than 6%.

    > > > What do you suggest me to check?

    > > I'd suggest to review the pre-conditions before considering it's not a
    > > normal situation.

    > > Check application response times.

    > > If the application response times are acceptable, then you have a lightand
    > > performant application and you're a happy man.

    > > If response times are not good, then you have bottlenecks and you're on
    > > track for diagnostic, profiling, tuning and optimizations.

    > > Also check the actual load placed on the application.

    > > If not producing enough load, then you have excellent response times and low
    > > CPU usage, and you think you're a happy man, but you're not because thetest
    > > was not relevant.

    > > HTH.- Hide quoted text -

    hey

    Did you enable PMI @ the admin console ?

    MGR

  5. Re: cpu usage

    sure

    > Did you enable PMI @ the admin console ?
    >
    > MGR

    Marco

  6. Re: cpu usage

    > Hello, I forgot to report that I exclude application issues. This is a
    > jvm or hardware mis-configuration.

    Sorry to insist, but what facts do you have to support your claims ?

    > With a stress test (no think times) I expected to have 100% of
    > utilization but I can not go up to 30%...

    Not if there are bottlenecks or if insufficient load is produced.

+ Reply to Thread