Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access - Websphere

This is a discussion on Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access - Websphere ; Hello , I have a requirement to move a virtual portal from development to staging environment. The version of portal server on both these environments is 6.0. What I would like to know is, how this can be achieved. We ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access

  1. Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access

    Hello ,

    I have a requirement to move a virtual portal from development to staging environment. The version of portal server on both these environments is 6.0. What I would like to know is, how this can be achieved. We have created a new virtual portal on the staging environment with the unique name as it is in development server.And also copied the themes corresponding to the virtual portal. Now we need to move all the portal pages. I could think of two methods to do this :
    1) To create all the portlets and portal pages again on new environment.
    2) To move the virtual portal contents using XMLAccess.

    I would prefer to go by 2nd option as this will save time. Can you guide me as how this can be done. If I export the entire virtual portal contents as XML can it be imported to new environment. Is there any best practice methods to be followed. Please provide any links or documents that can guide me to do this.

    Thank you.

    Regards
    Feb

  2. Re: Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access

    First of all, you should make sure that the staging system and the development system both contains the same set of portlet applications and other resources like themes and skins. If not, the import of virtual portals may fail.

    Second, you generate a full export from the dev system using ExportRelease.xml with the VP context. On the staging system, you should create the same VP using the config task "create-virtual-portal". Then try to import the XML file into the virtual portal. You may encounter some problems if the two systems were not built from the same source initially.

    The best way of building such streamline release is documented in
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...712_kubik.html

    -FF

  3. Re: Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access

    Hello Fang

    Thank you for your response.

    We have copied the themes and skins to the staging environment. And then created a virtual portal with the same name as it was in development environment. And then tried to import the VP. The import failed.

    From the result.xml how will I interpret where exactly it is failing ?

  4. Re: Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access

    This result file looks like an HTML file, not an XML file. I have only seen such a case when the -url was given as "/wps/portal", not "/wps/config".

    -FF

    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of IBM.

  5. Re: Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access

    yes, we were giving it as "/wps/portal" instead of "/wps/config" .
    Now trying with "/wps/config", the import is progressing but failing at some places. Trying to resolve it !

    Meanwhile can you pls tell me what is difference when you use "/wps/portal" and "/wps/config" ?

  6. Re: Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access

    XMLaccess is designed as a client-server model. The server part is a servlet with URI "/wps/config" listening always while Portal is running (this is why XMLaccess can only be used with portal running). "/wps/portal" is the servlet URI for the main Portal.

    These can be found in web.xml of wps.war and wps.xml.war, rrespectively.

    -FF

    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of IBM.

  7. Re: Move Virtual Portal to staging environment using XML access

    The most common problem with xmlaccess imports I find is that the wars expected don't match what's in /installableApps, either b/c:
    1. someone updated a war in the export server via admin portlet and didn't move it to the server /installableApps
    2. The export is taken, and in between that time and when it's moved a newer war is put into /installableApps

    If the fail message is not an obvious one: like insufficient priviledges from wrong user/pw, or wrong port, etc. try to match the unique ID uid_ from the results file with the one from the initial export file you are using for -in (it usually contains more info of what portlet is in question).

    I didn't see a new results file after /wps/config is used, if you can paste the error it may lead to some more info.

+ Reply to Thread