WAS Using Multiple Distributed HTTP Servers? - Websphere

This is a discussion on WAS Using Multiple Distributed HTTP Servers? - Websphere ; Some of our Enterprise Applications (e.g. Content Management etc) have to use local HTTP servers. However those application also uses in-house developed J2EE applications deployed in one of the WebSphere Application Server (WAS). Before, we had all those enterprise applications ...

  1. WAS Using Multiple Distributed HTTP Servers?

    Some of our Enterprise Applications (e.g. Content Management etc) have to use local HTTP servers. However those application also uses in-house developed J2EE applications deployed in one of the WebSphere Application Server (WAS). Before, we had all those enterprise applications and WAS residing on the same machine, so it wasn't an issue but now we're taking all distributed route.

    Now my question is if a WAS has 5 applications deployed in it, application A, B, C, D and E. Can the WAS be configured to use say HTTPServer1 for application A and C; HTTPServer2 for application B, C and D. All the HTTP Servers are on a different machine and there's only one instance of the application server running on a machine. Could you suggest any other alternative configuration if what I'm asking is not feasible. Thanks in advance

  2. Re: WAS Using Multiple Distributed HTTP Servers?

    Yes, it is possible.
    After you generate the plugin move it to both the instances. Then edit
    the file manually to remove the applications which you dont want the
    instance to serve.

    Anant

  3. Re: WAS Using Multiple Distributed HTTP Servers?

    On Aug 8, 8:54*pm, afk...@olg.ca wrote:
    > Some of our Enterprise Applications (e.g. Content Management etc) have touse local HTTP servers. However those application also uses in-house developed J2EE applications deployed in one of the WebSphere Application Server (WAS). Before, we had all those enterprise applications and WAS residing onthe same machine, so it wasn't an issue but now we're taking all distributed route.
    >
    > Now my question is if a WAS has 5 applications deployed in it, application A, B, C, D and E. Can the WAS be configured to use say HTTPServer1 for application A and C; HTTPServer2 for application B, C and D. All the HTTP Servers are on a different machine and there's only one instance of the application server running on a machine. Could you suggest any other alternative configuration if what I'm asking is not feasible. Thanks in advance

    If you are running WAS 6 then you can define the HTTP servers and
    specify them separately as deployment targets. Then you generate a
    plugin-cfg.xml file for each of them that only contains their specific
    applications.

  4. Re: WAS Using Multiple Distributed HTTP Servers?

    On Aug 9, 6:54*am, afk...@olg.ca wrote:
    > Some of our Enterprise Applications (e.g. Content Management etc) have touse local HTTP servers. However those application also uses in-house developed J2EE applications deployed in one of the WebSphere Application Server (WAS). Before, we had all those enterprise applications and WAS residing onthe same machine, so it wasn't an issue but now we're taking all distributed route.
    >
    > Now my question is if a WAS has 5 applications deployed in it, application A, B, C, D and E. Can the WAS be configured to use say HTTPServer1 for application A and C; HTTPServer2 for application B, C and D. All the HTTP Servers are on a different machine and there's only one instance of the application server running on a machine. Could you suggest any other alternative configuration if what I'm asking is not feasible. Thanks in advance

    Create 2 Virtual hosts in WebSphere; one for HTTPServer1 and another
    for HTTPServer2.
    Map deployed Apps A & C to Virtual host1 and B, D, E to Virtual host2
    ("Map Modules to Virtual Host")
    Generate plugin and propagate it to HTTPServer1 & 2.

    -Amol

  5. Re: WAS Using Multiple Distributed HTTP Servers?

    Now my question is if a WAS has 5 applications deployed in it, application A, B, C, D and E. Can the WAS be configured to use say HTTPServer1 for application A and C; HTTPServer2 for application B, C and D. All the HTTP Servers are on a different machine and there's only one instance of the application server running on a machine. Could you suggest any other alternative configuration if what I'm asking is not feasible. Thanks in advance

    So I'm not certain I understand exactly what you're describing, and I definitely don't understand why a J2EE application would require WAS to be co-located with the HTTP Server. Is your application creating files that your HTTP server will need to serve?

    That said, you should definitely be able to have certain applications only served by certain HTTP servers. With WAS 6.1, you can manage that all from the admin console. With other versions, it could involve some manual steps.

    First, it's your Network Dispatcher/Load Balancer/Proxy that decides which HTTP servers will receive requests for particular applications. For instance, if all the WAS plugins know about all the applications, but the Dispatcher never sends some of them to certain servers, you will have the same behavior.

    But if you also want your plugin files on each HTTP server to only contain knowledge about certain applications, you can certainly do that too.

    Which version of WAS are you running, and how are you managing the plugin files for the remote HTTP server installations?

+ Reply to Thread