Portlet Preeferences object - Websphere

This is a discussion on Portlet Preeferences object - Websphere ; Hi The jsr 168 api provides the portlet references object. This can store a user's customized settings. Similarly another user can also store his own customized things. But where does teh Preeferences object store it? It cannot be in the ...

  1. Portlet Preeferences object

    Hi

    The jsr 168 api provides the portlet references object. This can store a user's customized settings. Similarly another user can also store his own customized things. But where does teh Preeferences object store it? It cannot be in the sessiona as the changes will persist even on subsequent login. Also can anyone tell me will, the sutomized settings persist on restart of the Portal server?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Portlet Preeferences object

    As far as I know the portlet preferences are not stored in the session,
    because in this case the perference would get lost when the session
    times out or the user logs out. Therefore the perferences are
    persistently stored, and they are still available after a portal restart.

    Oliver

  3. Re: Portlet Preeferences object

    they are stored to the portal database.

    so yes it will persist past a restart

  4. Re: Portlet Preeferences object

    Do you mean the default database of the portal engine. So that means Cloudscape in case of WPS? But I have checked that, whenever I do a restart, the changes are lost.

  5. Re: Portlet Preeferences object

    yes cloudscape if you have not configured it to anything else. is this with rad? if so it uninstalls and reinstalls the portlets and therefor will drop the preferences.

    The preferences are tied to a portlet on a page. if the portlet is removed from the page, the preferences are lost. this also happens when you uninstall the portlet.

    The issue you are having can also occur if you are not calling store on the preferences object

  6. Re: Portlet Preeferences object

    Thanks for the reply.

    Yes, I am using RAD. But if that is the case then (Cloudscape), then it is a lot of work for the portal server. There could be millions of users and so many preferences for each user. Or, can it also set using cookies or something?

  7. Re: Portlet Preeferences object

    well JSr 168 cannot use cookies, and yes this can be some work for Portal, but this is part of what makes portal, portal. It also has a good bit of caching in place so that it can pull from memory instead of always going to the db. that is why there is clustering and it can go from 3 nodes to 110 and above nodes in a cluster.