Problems patching WebSphere 6.1, can't install updateinstaller onAIX - Websphere

This is a discussion on Problems patching WebSphere 6.1, can't install updateinstaller onAIX - Websphere ; Hi I am trying to install a APAR on the websphere 6.1. In order to do that I am trying to install the updateInstaller on AIX. I have downloaded download.updii.61017.aix.ppc64.zip from the IBM site and have tried to install it. ...

  1. Problems patching WebSphere 6.1, can't install updateinstaller onAIX

    Hi

    I am trying to install a APAR on the websphere 6.1. In order to do that I am trying to install the updateInstaller on AIX.

    I have downloaded download.updii.61017.aix.ppc64.zip from the IBM site and have tried to install it.

    Initially it installed the updateInstaller in the wrong location. I followed the intructions to uninstall it , also ran the installRegistryUtils.sh to clean the Product.

    Have tried re installing the updateInstaller since then. The installation process does not display any errors but The UpdateInstaller folder is not present in WAS root directory.

    Any help suggestions to resolve this please

    Alpa

  2. Re: Problems patching WebSphere 6.1, can't install updateinstalleron AIX

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:21:45 -0400, alpa29 wrote:
    > Initially it installed the updateInstaller in the wrong location. I
    > followed the intructions to uninstall it , also ran the
    > installRegistryUtils.sh to clean the Product.
    >
    > Have tried re installing the updateInstaller since then. The
    > installation process does not display any errors but The
    > UpdateInstaller folder is not present in WAS root directory.

    Are you installing it interactively or using the silent method? If
    silent, try the interactive one as it might give you a clue what it is
    doing.

    Perhaps the uninstall didn't clean everything correctly. Although I do
    not have experience with AIX yet, on Solaris it sometimes "forgets" the /
    opt/.ibm directory (there is a .nif/.nifregistry.xml or something like
    that)...

    Wkr,
    Sven Vermeulen

  3. Re: Problems patching WebSphere 6.1, can't install updateinstalleron AIX

    1 instance of a 6.1 UPDI installed then pick one to use and uninstall the rest. When you launch the UPDI install, it should ask you where you want the UPDI to install to. This is where you provide the path to the existing 6.1 UPDI so that it will be updated, or, if there is not one already on the machine, you can use the default path that is provided for you (or pick a new path)

    Hope this helps.

  4. Re: Problems patching WebSphere 6.1, can't install updateinstalleron AIX

    When I run the installRegistryUtils.sh -listProducts command .

    It does not list UPDI as one of the installed products. Below the is report

    WNIF0100I: Copyright (c) IBM Corporation 2006; All rights reserved.

    WNIF0102I: Install registry reporter version 1.4

    IBM WebSphere Application Server Install Registry Report

    Report at date and time July 30, 2008 9:05:23 AM CDT

    Product Installed

    Offering ID BASE

    Installation Location /websphere/AppServer

    Version 6.1.0.0

    End Install Registry Report

    From the above information I understand that UPDI is not installed and when I run the install command it should install the updateInstaller. It executes the install command without displaying any error but still the UpdateInstaller folder is missing in WAS root folder (/websphere/AppServer)

    I think the intial uninstall I did corrupted some files .. but I am unable to figure out which files .. I am trying to install updateInstaller version 6.1.0.17. Should i be installing the earlier versions as none of the fixpatches for 6.1 have been applied yet. ?

    Any light on this will be appreciated ..

    Alpa

  5. Re: Problems patching WebSphere 6.1, can't install updateinstalleron AIX

    alpa.shah@mosaicco.com wrote:

    > From the above information I understand that UPDI is not installed and when I run the install command it should install the updateInstaller. It executes the install command without displaying any error but still the UpdateInstaller folder is missing in WAS root folder (/websphere/AppServer)

    Which command are you using to install? Mine got installed under
    WebSphere directly (but I'm on Windows)

    > I think the intial uninstall I did corrupted some files .. but I am unable to figure out which files .. I am trying to install updateInstaller version 6.1.0.17. Should i be installing the earlier versions as none of the fixpatches for 6.1 have been applied yet. ?
    >

    > Any light on this will be appreciated ..

    Probably you should call IBM for more deep insight and help through the
    official support channel opening a PMR.

+ Reply to Thread