WAS 6.1.0.x on Solaris sparc - Websphere

This is a discussion on WAS 6.1.0.x on Solaris sparc - Websphere ; hi all. i just inherited a Sunblade 100 from a buddy and was going to try migrating my current app environment (at least the WAS portion) over to it. its running Solaris 10 64-bit and the server has a 500 ...

  1. WAS 6.1.0.x on Solaris sparc

    hi all. i just inherited a Sunblade 100 from a buddy and was going to
    try migrating my current app environment (at least the WAS portion)
    over to it. its running Solaris 10 64-bit and the server has a 500 mhz
    proc and 1 gig of ram.

    install of WAS went fine but when i initially tried starting it up (no
    OS tweaking) it started but took quite awhile. it was also using 99%
    of the CPU while it initialized. performance is poor (i just hit the
    admin console since i havent installed any app's yet).

    i then tried adding some recommended tcp and kernel parameters and
    rebooted. upon starting it got to the point where it started the
    isclite (admin console) app but then hangs until i get an eventual
    timeout and error 'Server launched but failed initialization'. note
    the CPU utilization was not high while it was hanging prior to this
    error and subsequent abort.

    anyone else running WAS 6.x on Solaris 10 sparc (or even Solaris 9)?
    if so what kind of system is it and what (if any) tuning did you do to
    the OS?

    thanks

  2. Re: WAS 6.1.0.x on Solaris sparc

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:55:17 -0700, ungahz wrote:
    > hi all. i just inherited a Sunblade 100 from a buddy and was going to
    > try migrating my current app environment (at least the WAS portion) over
    > to it. its running Solaris 10 64-bit and the server has a 500 mhz proc
    > and 1 gig of ram.
    >
    > install of WAS went fine but when i initially tried starting it up (no
    > OS tweaking) it started but took quite awhile. it was also using 99% of
    > the CPU while it initialized. performance is poor (i just hit the admin
    > console since i havent installed any app's yet).
    >
    > i then tried adding some recommended tcp and kernel parameters and
    > rebooted. upon starting it got to the point where it started the isclite
    > (admin console) app but then hangs until i get an eventual timeout and
    > error 'Server launched but failed initialization'. note the CPU
    > utilization was not high while it was hanging prior to this error and
    > subsequent abort.
    >
    > anyone else running WAS 6.x on Solaris 10 sparc (or even Solaris 9)? if
    > so what kind of system is it and what (if any) tuning did you do to the
    > OS?

    Most of the systems we run WebSphere AS v6.x on are on Sun Solaris 10
    here; the only "tweak" we had to make sure was the maximum number of open
    file descriptors (ulimit -n iirc). By default, it was 4096 and we needed
    at least 8192 (we set it around 10000).

    Other than that, no issues whatsoever; running on various types of Sparc
    systems.

    Wkr,
    Sven Vermeulen

+ Reply to Thread