Manually install/configure a servlet filter on WAS 6.0.2 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Manually install/configure a servlet filter on WAS 6.0.2 - Websphere ; I am trying to add a filter for monitoring and debugging an existing application on WAS 6.0.2. I do not want to modify the existing .ear file. I am looking for examples on how to manually install a filter on ...

  1. Manually install/configure a servlet filter on WAS 6.0.2

    I am trying to add a filter for monitoring and debugging an existing application on WAS 6.0.2. I do not want to modify the existing .ear file. I am looking for examples on how to manually install a filter on WAS. I have attempted to place the filter .class file under an installed app, and manually updated the web.xml (filter and mapping entries).

    If there is a tutorial or example of how to manually integrate a filter with an existing app, that would be awesome. Otherwise, any links or information would be useful.

    What I am currently seeing isn't useful, as I am not even getting configuration errors in std.out or std.err. I tried to configure a filter to '/*' - which I thought should be called for everything in the existing (installed) app.

    Thanks,

    Brent Friedman

  2. Re: Manually install/configure a servlet filter on WAS 6.0.2

    bfriedman@cincom.com wrote:
    > I am trying to add a filter for monitoring and debugging an existing application on WAS 6.0.2. I do not want to modify the existing .ear file. I am looking for examples on how to manually install a filter on WAS. I have attempted to place the filter .class file under an installed app, and manually updated the web.xml (filter and mapping entries).
    >

    > If there is a tutorial or example of how to manually integrate a filter with an existing app, that would be awesome. Otherwise, any links or information would be useful.
    >

    > What I am currently seeing isn't useful, as I am not even getting configuration errors in std.out or std.err. I tried to configure a filter to '/*' - which I thought should be called for everything in the existing (installed) app.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >

    > Brent Friedman

    Not sure it's even possible to do this, much less supported.

    Ken

  3. Re: Manually install/configure a servlet filter on WAS 6.0.2

    > I do not want to modify the existing .ear file. I am looking for examples
    > on how to manually install a filter on WAS.

    Why ?

    From a J2EE perspective, configuring capabilities of an application is done
    at the Build phase and consists in editing the EAR file settings or
    assembling modules the right way.

    Probably you find it convenient to modify files directly, but the way it was
    designed is to modify the EAR file and reploy it.

    It's possible to modify the deployed assets on the file system, but you need
    to realize that when you modify them, you're anyway modifying the
    "Enterprise Application". OK, it's the one expanded on the file system, not
    the "original" .EAR file. But at the end you're modifying the application
    anyway, just it's a less safe way of doing the same (deployment using EAR
    file guarantees repeatability of the installation and integrity of the
    application).

    > I have attempted to place the filter .class file under an installed app,
    > and manually updated the web.xml (filter and mapping entries).

    Try to modify the web.xml in the repository under the directory
    instead of the installedApss directory.

  4. Re: Manually install/configure a servlet filter on WAS 6.0.2

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:27:11 +0200, Ben_ wrote:
    > Try to modify the web.xml in the repository under the directory
    > instead of the installedApss directory.

    Unless the application is deployed with the "Use binary configuration"
    setting in which case it reads from the deployed directory rather than
    the configuration directory.

    Wkr,
    Sven Vermeulen

  5. Re: Manually install/configure a servlet filter on WAS 6.0.2

    I originally posted this under the IBM websphere forum, but didn't get any replies there. Thanks for the replies here!

    What I am trying to do is to troubleshoot an existing installation. I want to use a servlet filter to catch some intra-process information, WITHOUT MODIFYING THE DEPLOYED EAR FILE. I am on the integration side of the application, not the development side.

    I will try the suggestion about modifying the other web.xml file.

    Thanks,

    Brent Friedman

+ Reply to Thread