Best Practice: Application Parameters - Websphere

This is a discussion on Best Practice: Application Parameters - Websphere ; Hi, for applications deployed as EAR's what does best practice advocate for storing / retrieving application properties that seldom change? For instance the location where an application has to write a file. Should the web.xml route be preferred over properties ...

  1. Best Practice: Application Parameters

    Hi, for applications deployed as EAR's what does best practice advocate for storing / retrieving application properties that seldom change? For instance the location where an application has to write a file. Should the web.xml route be preferred over properties files for example? If a property file is used then where is the best place to store it?

    Regards,

    Mark.

  2. Re: Best Practice: Application Parameters

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 05:34:42 -0400, markkilby wrote:

    > Hi, for applications deployed as EAR's what does best practice advocate
    > for storing / retrieving application properties that seldom change? For
    > instance the location where an application has to write a file. Should
    > the web.xml route be preferred over properties files for example? If a
    > property file is used then where is the best place to store it?

    I don't know what the best practice is, if there is one.

    For fixed locations, I prefer at most a few system properties (JVM
    arguments). If you need more "fixed" properties, I rather have property
    files.

    Things that change a bit more often might be better published through
    JNDI?

    This is mostly based on ease of management.

    Wkr,
    Sven Vermeulen

+ Reply to Thread