ability to add portal content (add a portlet) from an externalsource - Websphere

This is a discussion on ability to add portal content (add a portlet) from an externalsource - Websphere ; We have found a need in our environment to allow users to add content to their personalized portal pages from external sources i am looking for a feature similar to this http://www.google.com/webmasters/add.html Has anyone implemented something similar to this? Could ...

  1. ability to add portal content (add a portlet) from an externalsource

    We have found a need in our environment to allow users to add content to their personalized portal pages from external sources

    i am looking for a feature similar to this

    http://www.google.com/webmasters/add.html

    Has anyone implemented something similar to this? Could someone lead me in the right direction?

  2. Re: ability to add portal content (add a portlet) from an externalsource

    For RSS/Atom feed parsing you can use Rome open source tool ( https://rome.dev.java.net/). Its pretty well written. Not sure what kind of external content you are looking for within a portlet. Is it just RSS/Atom feed and google gadget or something else.

  3. Re: ability to add portal content (add a portlet) from an externalsource

    I was more looking for how to actually add portlets to portal externally.

    Doing some sniffing around it looks like when adding a portlet to a page a post is made to the dndAddUrl with the portlet ID the container Id (the drop zone) and an index ID(i guess whether the portlet will be first or last).

    I have yet to look into how to actually set personalization settings on the portlet. This would be needed to actually configure the portlet for a specific RSS feed or what have you.

  4. Re: ability to add portal content (add a portlet) from an externalsource

    I've written a simple jquery function to add a portlet. Still trying to figure out the cleanest way to configure it.

    Again, is there any other way to do this....possibly with an API?

    function addPortlet(portalPage, portlet_id) {
    //simple ajax get & post. Get finds dndURL and dropzone. Post adds the portlet.
    $.ajax( { url: portalPage,cache: false, success: function(html) {
    var vstart = html.indexOf( "var dndAddUrl = \"" ,1);
    var vend = html.indexOf( ";var dndMoveUrl" , vstart);
    var dndAddUrl = html.substring(vstart+17,vend-1);
    vstart = html.indexOf( "DNDPAAJS('" ,1);
    vend = html.indexOf( "'" ,vstart + 11);
    var dndDropZone = (html.substring(vstart+10,vend));
    $.post(dndAddUrl, { port_id: portlet_id, container_id: dndDropZone, index: "0" } ,
    function(data) { if (data.indexOf( "Weather" 1) { return true ; } else { return false ; } } );
    }
    } );
    return false ;
    }

    //to call
    if (addPortlet( '\wps\iGoogleClone\',' wps.portlet.RSS ')
    {
    //goodstuff
    } else {
    //bad stuff