EJB WLM WAS 6.1 ND - Websphere

This is a discussion on EJB WLM WAS 6.1 ND - Websphere ; We have our application deployed in a cluster and an Integraion layer (Webmethods using IBM JRE) is sending messages to the EJB deployed in the cluster. What I notice is, it does not load balance the EJB calls even when ...

  1. EJB WLM WAS 6.1 ND

    We have our application deployed in a cluster and an Integraion layer (Webmethods using IBM JRE) is sending messages to the EJB deployed in the cluster. What I notice is, it does not load balance the EJB calls even when the weight of the members is same and "prefer local" is unchecked.

    According to the Red Book : WebSphere Application Server V6 Scalability and Performance handbook, chapter : 7.4 How EJBs participate in Work Load Management.

    There is no need of additional configuration. The first request to EJB return the cluster information and the client WLM plug-in stores that cluster information and use it in subsiquent requests.

    So, I tried all the tree logics defined below and none of them gave me WLM. All of them end up sending messages to the same member of the cluster.

    for (each message) start
    - getEJBHome(lookup( "cell/clusters/ofcluster/CommManager" )) , - getEJBBean, - Send (message)
    end

    getEJBHome ((lookup( "cell/clusters/ofcluster/CommManager" )))
    for (each message) start
    - getEJBBean, - send (message)
    end

    getEJBHome ((lookup( "cell/clusters/ofcluster/CommManager" )))
    getEJBBean
    for (each message)start
    - send (message)
    end

  2. Re: EJB WLM WAS 6.1 ND

    What fixpack level are you at? There was some level where WLM was broken, I don't recall the level though. So you might try applying the latest fp.

  3. Re: EJB WLM WAS 6.1 ND

    p.s.farwaha@gmail.com wrote:
    > We have our application deployed in a cluster and an Integraion layer
    > (Webmethods using IBM JRE) is sending messages to the EJB deployed in
    > the cluster. What I notice is, it does not load balance the EJB calls
    > even when the weight of the members is same and "prefer local" is
    > unchecked.
    >

    > According to the Red Book : WebSphere Application Server V6
    > Scalability and Performance handbook, chapter : 7.4 How EJBs
    > participate in Work Load Management.
    >

    > There is no need of additional configuration. The first request to
    > EJB return the cluster information and the client WLM plug-in stores
    > that cluster information and use it in subsiquent requests.

    I believe this is only true if you are running in a JEE Client Container
    and using the IBM JDK, or if you install the WebSphere application
    client to upgrade the JDK to use the IBM Orb implementation that
    supports WLM.

  4. Re: EJB WLM WAS 6.1 ND

    I believe this is only true if you are running in a JEE Client Container
    and using the IBM JDK, or if you install the WebSphere application
    client to upgrade the JDK to use the IBM Orb implementation that
    supports WLM.

    We are using the same JRE which comes with WAS ND 6.1 at the client side, shouldn't it

    have the ORB implementation that supporsts WLM ? BTW, we are using WAS ND 6.1.0.7 and

    will try using the latest fix pack.

    Thanks,

    Karephul

+ Reply to Thread