VerifyError in WebSphere 6.1 deployment - Websphere

This is a discussion on VerifyError in WebSphere 6.1 deployment - Websphere ; Hi, I'm getting the below exception when trying to deploy a web app into WebSphere 6.1.17 (works fine under Tomcat, so definitely a deployment configuration issue). Stack Dump = org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletExceptio n: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.VerifyError Caused by: ...

  1. VerifyError in WebSphere 6.1 deployment

    Hi,

    I'm getting the below exception when trying to deploy a web app into WebSphere 6.1.17 (works fine under Tomcat, so definitely a deployment configuration issue).

    Stack Dump = org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletExceptio n: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.VerifyError

    Caused by: java.lang.VerifyError

    at org.springframework.xml.xpath.Jaxp13XPathExpressio nFactory$Jaxp13XPathExpressio n.evaluateAsNodeList(Jaxp13XPathExpressionFactory. java:104)

    at org.springframework.ws.transport.http.WsdlDefiniti onHandlerAdapter.transformLoc ations(WsdlDefinitionHandlerAdapter.java:198)

    at org.springframework.ws.transport.http.WsdlDefiniti onHandlerAdapter.handle(WsdlD efinitionHandlerAdapter.java:126)

    at org.springframework.ws.transport.http.MessageDispa tcherServlet.doService(Messag eDispatcherServlet.java:194)

    at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.p rocessRequest(FrameworkServle t.java:475)

    at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.d oGet(FrameworkServlet.java:43 0)

    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:743)

    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:856)

    Looking at the 'offending' spring code (I fully qualified the paths) in Jaxp13XPathExpressionFactory$Jaxp13XPathExpression .evaluateAsNodeList:

       org.w3c.dom.NodeList nodeList = (NodeList) evaluate(node, javax.xml.xpath.XPathConstants.NODESET);

    My guess is that the VerifyError is related to the org.w3c.dom usage.Node/NodeList (really wish VerifyError would give more information as to what did not verify correctly). I've tried deploying the application both with XercesImpl/Xalan in the application classpath (WEB-INF/lib), and with XercesImpl/Xalan removed from the application classpath (use WebSphere-supplied XercesImpl/Xalan). In either case it still gives the above stack trace, so I'm stumped. The javax.xml.xpath.XPathConstants constant is part of the Java 5x spec, so don't think it is that.

    Configuration:

    I'm running under WebSphere 6.1.17 (ibm jdk 5x). It is a web application only (no other modules), and it is configured to use the application class loader first (parent last). This behavior happens on both Windows and AIX WebSphere 6.1.17 platforms.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    FWIW- other folks are hitting the same issue (See bottom two posts in http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=4732 4&highlight=websphere+java.lang.VerifyError), with no reported resolution...

  2. Re: VerifyError in WebSphere 6.1 deployment

    brad.l.miller@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm getting the below exception when trying to deploy a web app into WebSphere 6.1.17 (works fine under Tomcat, so definitely a deployment configuration issue).
    >

    > Stack Dump = org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletExceptio n: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.VerifyError
    >
    > Caused by: java.lang.VerifyError
    >
    > at org.springframework.xml.xpath.Jaxp13XPathExpressio nFactory$Jaxp13XPathExpressio n.evaluateAsNodeList(Jaxp13XPathExpressionFactory. java:104)
    >
    > at org.springframework.ws.transport.http.WsdlDefiniti onHandlerAdapter.transformLoc ations(WsdlDefinitionHandlerAdapter.java:198)
    >
    > at org.springframework.ws.transport.http.WsdlDefiniti onHandlerAdapter.handle(WsdlD efinitionHandlerAdapter.java:126)
    >
    > at org.springframework.ws.transport.http.MessageDispa tcherServlet.doService(Messag eDispatcherServlet.java:194)
    >
    > at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.p rocessRequest(FrameworkServle t.java:475)
    >
    > at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.d oGet(FrameworkServlet.java:43 0)
    >
    > at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:743)
    >
    > at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:856)

    > Looking at the 'offending' spring code (I fully qualified the paths) in Jaxp13XPathExpressionFactory$Jaxp13XPathExpression .evaluateAsNodeList:
    >

    >    org.w3c.dom.NodeList nodeList = (NodeList) evaluate(node, javax.xml.xpath.XPathConstants.NODESET);
    >

    > My guess is that the VerifyError is related to the org.w3c.dom usage.Node/NodeList (really wish VerifyError would give more information as to what did not verify correctly). I've tried deploying the application both with XercesImpl/Xalan in the application classpath (WEB-INF/lib), and with XercesImpl/Xalan removed from the application classpath (use WebSphere-supplied XercesImpl/Xalan). In either case it still gives the above stack trace, so I'm stumped. The javax.xml.xpath.XPathConstants constant is part of the Java 5x spec, so don't think it is that.
    >

    > Configuration:
    >
    > I'm running under WebSphere 6.1.17 (ibm jdk 5x). It is a web application only (no other modules), and it is configured to use the application class loader first (parent last). This behavior happens on both Windows and AIX WebSphere 6.1.17 platforms.
    >

    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >

    > FWIW- other folks are hitting the same issue (See bottom two posts in http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=4732 4&highlight=websphere+java.lang.VerifyError), with no reported resolution...

    VerifyErrors often have something to do with classloaders, when you put
    the XML jars into your app, did you set classloading to PARENT_LAST?
    Also, make sure you're compiling the application with the same jars that
    you're using at runtime.

    Ken

+ Reply to Thread