why window.open and window.showModelessDialog will freezewebsphere. - Websphere

This is a discussion on why window.open and window.showModelessDialog will freezewebsphere. - Websphere ; I meet a strange problem in websphere. We need serval step to show this problem. 1: open a url use window.open('url') or window.showModelessDialog('url').This url will send a request to websphere. 2:websphere spend a long time on deal this request.You can ...

  1. why window.open and window.showModelessDialog will freezewebsphere.

    I meet a strange problem in websphere.

    We need serval step to show this problem.

    1: open a url use window.open('url') or window.showModelessDialog('url').This url will send a request to websphere.

    2:websphere spend a long time on deal this request.You can use 'Thread.sleep' to let's it happen.

    3:When websphere not finish this request,you close the opening window.

    4:Repeat step1 to step3 serval times.Your browsor will be freezed.

    It's never happened on tomcat and websphere has any error or warn log about this problem.

    So i think it perhaps a websphere's bug.

    Is there anyone meet the same problem?

  2. Re: why window.open and window.showModelessDialog will freeze websphere.

    waitinglh@gmail.com wrote:
    > I meet a strange problem in websphere.
    >
    > We need serval step to show this problem.
    >

    > 1: open a url use window.open('url') or window.showModelessDialog('url').This url will send a request to websphere.
    >

    > 2:websphere spend a long time on deal this request.You can use 'Thread.sleep' to let's it happen.
    >

    > 3:When websphere not finish this request,you close the opening window.
    >

    > 4:Repeat step1 to step3 serval times.Your browsor will be freezed.
    >

    > It's never happened on tomcat and websphere has any error or warn log about this problem.
    >
    > So i think it perhaps a websphere's bug.
    >
    > Is there anyone meet the same problem?

    The problem you describe isn't in WebSphere, but in your JavaScript/browser.

    Ken

  3. Re: why window.open and window.showModelessDialog will freeze websphere.

    This sounds pretty logical to me.

    You invoke your application code at step #2 and you say it takes long to
    execute.

    That you close the browser window won't stop the thread working at the
    server-side (your application).

    So, at some point, when you repeat this often enough, you'll finally exhaust
    the Servlet thread pool (50 threads by default).

    And the symptom you observe is that the browser keeps waiting (progress bar
    slowly moving but no page is displayed until a timeout is reached).

    When this is the scenario, you need to look at your application to trace why
    under WebSphere it takes longer to perform than on another container.

  4. Re: why window.open and window.showModelessDialog will freezewebsphere.

    Thanks for your explaination about Servlet thread pool.

    In my opinion,the reason is'nt the pool lack available thread to deal my request.

    I write a pure samle project to test this.

    Broswer would be freezed just after i repeat those steps three times.

    I did't change any configuration about the thread pool.

    This problem confuse me.

    The attachment is my sample code.

  5. Re: why window.open and window.showModelessDialog will freeze websphere.

    So, I understand the scenario is that you call
    window.open("/GraphTest/doGraph","graph",style) and doGraph is a slow
    responding Servlet.

    As soon as the third popup, you observe the browser will popup a white
    window with no content and the progress bar is slowly moving ("freeze").

    In this case, it can be an Internet Explorer built-in design limitation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402.

    Try from different workstations to confirm the server is still responding
    while the first browser is freezing.

    Or try with Firefox which has a different setting:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.ht...ons-per-server.

+ Reply to Thread