Good book suggestions for getting started.... - Websphere

This is a discussion on Good book suggestions for getting started.... - Websphere ; OKÖ Iím so new to IBM, and Websphere (I come from MS and Sharepoint) that I am really struggling to get my head around it. Iím playing with Websphere Beta 6.1 on at Windows server 2003 just to get a ...

  1. Good book suggestions for getting started....

    OKÖ Iím so new to IBM, and Websphere (I come from MS and Sharepoint)
    that I am really struggling to get my head around it.

    Iím playing with Websphere Beta 6.1 on at Windows server 2003 just to
    get a good look at it before moving to the beginning stages of a real
    rollout on an iSeres box.

    But like I said, getting my head around it has been less than
    rewarding. Though Iíve had my moments with creating portlets,
    Websphere itself is still for the most part a bundle that really looks
    good, and what I can do with it dances through my head to the point
    that I canít wait until it all clicks so I can have an outlet for my
    enthusiasm.

    Can anyone recommend a good book that might help me to understand the
    management structure of this system, even though it wonít be the
    version Iím going to be working with, the methods will likely be close
    enough for me to start to get more than a basic understanding?

  2. Re: Good book suggestions for getting started....

    On Jun 13, 1:22*pm, Caveman wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good book that might help me to understand the
    > management structure of this system, even though it wonít be the
    > version Iím going to be working with, the methods will likely be close
    > enough for me to start to get more than a basic understanding?

    WowÖ nothing huh.

    Enthusiasm is turning into frustration, but some progress is being
    made. Determination is winning out, but at this pace our visions for
    Websphere may be dust by the time I get a handle on it.

  3. Re: Good book suggestions for getting started....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good book that might help me to understand the
    management structure of this system, even though it wonít be the
    version Iím going to be working with, the methods will likely be close
    enough for me to start to get more than a basic understanding?
    First, a little advice. Don't sweat that no one replied. Probably this is the millionth time someone asked this sort of question, and if you search the list, you might find other great answers.

    That said, if you're set on a book, the Redbooks are a good place to start.

    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...7257.html?Open

    My suggestion would be to start at DeveloperWorks and browse through for an article that interests you, that you might find useful. This is following the open-source philosophy of "scratch an itch".

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/newto/

    For example, here's an article on JSPs, with a source file. Good way to build your confidence:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...l_johnson.html

    Also, if you are running RAD, in the help section there are some useful tutorials, for example, how to setup a web service.

+ Reply to Thread