Multiple Listeners to same Queue - Websphere

This is a discussion on Multiple Listeners to same Queue - Websphere ; Is it possible to define multiple listerns (Active) to the same queue ? I defined a cluster with 2 Applications Servers. I created a JMS queue and saw that only one of the servers is actually consuming the messages. If ...

  1. Multiple Listeners to same Queue

    Is it possible to define multiple listerns (Active) to the same queue ?

    I defined a cluster with 2 Applications Servers. I created a JMS queue and saw that only one of the servers is actually consuming the messages. If *this server fails/crashes then the other server start processing the remaining messages. This is a kind of Active - passive configuration, what our client want is Active - Active configuration.

    So, the question boils down to " how can I configure the system such that all the servers are active in listening to the queue "

    http://w ww.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-sibus/

    The above link show the configuration which has few disadvantages:

    1. If one of the server's fail, no one is going to consume the messages which its (active) queue was holding.

    2. Each server will produce and consume its own messages, so IP sprayer (external) is required to load balance the requests.

    Karephul

  2. Re: Multiple Listeners to same Queue

    p.s.farwaha@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is it possible to define multiple listerns (Active) to the same queue
    > ?
    >
    > I defined a cluster with 2 Applications Servers. I created a JMS
    > queue and saw that only one of the servers is actually consuming the
    > messages. If *this server fails/crashes then the other server start
    > processing the remaining messages. This is a kind of Active - passive
    > configuration, what our client want is Active - Active configuration.
    >

    > So, the question boils down to " how can I configure the system such
    > that all the servers are active in listening to the queue "

    Yes, you can. Each messaging engine in a cluster will run on one cluster
    node and failover to some other node, by default (this is called the "1
    of N" policy). So you need to define a second messaging engine on the
    same cluster, and pin it to a different default server than the first one.

  3. Re: Multiple Listeners to same Queue

    Yes, you can. Each messaging engine in a cluster will run on one cluster

    node and failover to some other node, by default (this is called the "1

    of N" policy). So you need to define a second messaging engine on the

    same cluster, and pin it to a different default server than the first one.

    Thanks for the response,

    The problem here is "partitioned queue." My client to the queue should be load balanced such that it sends the messages *equally distributed to each of these partitioned part of queue(which is managed separately by messaging engine.) I can see this resulting in few servers (in the cluster) doing most of the work and few slacking because there was no messaging engine (active) for them.

    Anyways, I am going to test this scenario let see how it goes.

    Karephul

  4. Re: Multiple Listeners to same Queue

    So, the alternative to Paul's suggestion is to move the messaging engine
    out in to a separate cluster. Then both application cluster members will
    attach remotely and consume messages.

    Regards,
    David

  5. Re: Multiple Listeners to same Queue

    As you suggested, I created two messaging engines in my "cluster" bus (SIB.)

    How do I pin the second messaging engine to the other server ?

    What is happening now is, when I send the messages and even if I disable one

    of them (messaging engines)the same Application server is consuming the messages.

    I think, both of these messaging engines are registered to the same Application Server somehow.

    I will appreciate your quick response. its taking more time to configure this

    than I initially anticipated.

    Karephul

  6. Re: Multiple Listeners to same Queue

    p.s.farwaha@gmail.com wrote:
    > As you suggested, I created two messaging engines in my "cluster" bus (SIB.)
    >
    > How do I pin the second messaging engine to the other server ?

    Read the documentation. I can't read it for you. You can start here:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../tjt0023_.html

    > What is happening now is, when I send the messages and even if I disable one
    >
    > of them (messaging engines)the same Application server is consuming the messages.
    >
    > I think, both of these messaging engines are registered to the same Application Server somehow.
    >

    > I will appreciate your quick response.

    I don't think that you understand the purpose of his newsgroup. It is
    *NOT* an IBM support channel, it's people helping each other in their
    spare time.

  7. Re: Multiple Listeners to same Queue

    Thanks for your suggestion & documentation link.

+ Reply to Thread