Websphere 6.1 not deploying / extracting all classes and jars inear file - Websphere

This is a discussion on Websphere 6.1 not deploying / extracting all classes and jars inear file - Websphere ; Hi everyone, Has anyone seen this issue before? I wasn't able to find anything of use from google or devworks search. The problem seems to be that WebSphere application server 6.1 is not correctly extracting/deploying an .ear file. I'm getting ...

  1. Websphere 6.1 not deploying / extracting all classes and jars inear file

    Hi everyone,

    Has anyone seen this issue before? I wasn't able to find anything of use from google or devworks search.

    The problem seems to be that WebSphere application server 6.1 is not correctly extracting/deploying an .ear file. I'm getting loads of java.lang.NoClassDefFoundErrors. After some investigation I have released that this is because that classes are actually missing .

    They are in the .ear file however WebSphere does not seem to be extracting all the class and jar files from the .ear file into the installedApps directory when it is deployed. [Full path

    c:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\in stalledApps\vmweb01Node01Cell \.ear].

    I'm deploying using web admin console, and no errors were logged. I have tried deploying this to WAS 6.1 Fixpack 009 and fixpack 0013 and the effects are the same.

    If I extract the ear file locally and copied it to the installedApps direct and the application runs as normal, this is why I believe it's an error with the deployment.

    Everything was working fine until yesterday, the only thing in my environment that has changed is that I have recently upgraded from Rational Application Developer 7.004 to 7.006. This could be effecting the exporting of the .ear file however I can't see any changes in the application.xml or related ear config files.

    However my when deploying to my local copy of WebSphere Application Server (that's bundled as part of RAD), the application works ok. I wonder if this is because it deploys it differently? maybe directly to the installed apps directory.

    The J2EE application in question is build with Java Server Faces V1.1, using IBM JSF components, on WAS 6.1 with a iSeries/AS400 back-end. The ear file contains a war file containing the main webapp and utility jar.

    Operating System in DEV is Windows XP, in Test and Live Windows Server 2003 Ent Ed.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Scott

  2. Re: Websphere 6.1 not deploying / extracting all classes and jarsin ear file

    ibm@scottbown.co.uk wrote:
    [snip]
    > The problem seems to be that WebSphere application server 6.1 is not correctly extracting/deploying an .ear file. I'm getting loads of java.lang.NoClassDefFoundErrors. After some investigation I have released that this is because that classes are actually missing .

    [snip]

    This kind of problem can sometimes occur on Windows due to pathname
    length limitations. Depending on the WAS install directory and names
    used (cell, node, server, app name etc.), the temporary directories used
    during application install can exceed the allowable path length and
    files are not extracted properly.

    It's hard to say if this is the problem you are seeing, but your
    SystemOut.log file may contain some clues. You might see some entries
    indicating that files could not be read or written due to pathname
    limitations if that is the problem.

  3. Re: Websphere 6.1 not deploying / extracting all classes and jars

    The extraction problem occurs if there are spaces in the Websphere application server path.

    Message was edited by: commando

+ Reply to Thread