"This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial - Websphere

This is a discussion on "This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial - Websphere ; I attempted the "Introduction to Spring Portlet MVC Framework" on developerworks using WP 6.0.1.3. After placing the portlet on a page and viewing thru a browser, I see "This portlet is unavailable". I cannot find any info in the logs. ...

  1. "This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial

    I attempted the "Introduction to Spring Portlet MVC Framework" on developerworks using WP 6.0.1.3. After placing the portlet on a page and viewing thru a browser, I see "This portlet is unavailable". I cannot find any info in the logs. I am new to WP and Spring. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

  2. Re: "This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial

    can you provide the systemout, systemerr logs?

  3. Re: "This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial

    When I go under the wp_profile/logs there are folders for WebSphere_Portal and for server1. WebSphere_Portal does not contain systemout or systemerr. server1 has an empty file for systemerr and systemout only has the startup output from 3/24/08, even though I have been using this product almost everyday.

  4. Re: "This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial

    try under /PortalServer/logs, the main directory and not under the profile directory

    Jim

  5. Re: "This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial

    Thanks, this may be more informative.

    systemout: see attached

    systemerr:

    4/30/08 7:35:09:823 MDT 00000056 SystemErr R log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils).

    4/30/08 7:35:09:823 MDT 00000056 SystemErr R log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

  6. Re: "This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial

    seems to me this is the problem

    Caused by: javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Exception during portlet initialization

    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.han dleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:450)

    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispat cher.include(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:670)

    looks like the code was unable to load something in the MVC, can you send me your sample?

    jim

  7. Re: "This portlet is unavailable" using Spring Tutorial

    Thanks for you help. I know we exchanged a few emails. The bottow line was the HelloSpringPortletMVC-portlet.xml on line 3 had \ character from the tutorial that was causing a parse exception. The fix was to remove the \ between the ...EN" "http... so that it displayed as follows:

    James pointed me to the install_root/Portal_Server/log/SystemOut.log which contained the SAXParseException.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread