Datasource and connection pool - Websphere

This is a discussion on Datasource and connection pool - Websphere ; Folks, I have a DB2 datasource using Type 4 Universal driver. From time to time I need to have this datasource point to a different Server name. After changing the Server name in the datsource panel, I issue the purgePoolContents ...

  1. Datasource and connection pool

    Folks,

    I have a DB2 datasource using Type 4 Universal driver. From time to time I need to have this datasource point to a different Server name. After changing the Server name in the datsource panel, I issue the purgePoolContents and showPoolContents commands in Wsadmin to clear the pool connections for the particular datasource with the assumption that a new connection would read the new definition of the datasource and point to the new server. But this is not behaving this way as new DB2 connections are still pointing to the old server name. I am sure bouncing the app server would clear things up but highly undesirable.

    Using WAS 6.1.0.13 running on Redhat Linux.

    DB2 datasource goes through the DB2 Connect gateway before routing to DB2 on zOS.

    Server name: db2connsrv1 Port: 50000 Name: DB2TEST Type: 4

    Is there any other command I need to run? Do I need to somehow rebind the data source?

  2. Re: Datasource and connection pool

    > I am sure bouncing the app server would clear things up but highly
    > undesirable.

    Yes, that's the way it works.

    Never tried, but what if you define DataSource 1 and DataSource 2, and swap
    their JNDI name as necessary ?

  3. Re: Datasource and connection pool

    re-catalog the database your connection data source is using...while
    catalogging you need to provide the new host name.
    Hope it works.

    wrote in message
    news:610928051.1209487782490.JavaMail.wassrvr@ltsg was009.sby.ibm.com...
    > Folks,
    >

    > I have a DB2 datasource using Type 4 Universal driver. From time to time I

    need to have this datasource point to a different Server name. After
    changing the Server name in the datsource panel, I issue the
    purgePoolContents and showPoolContents commands in Wsadmin to clear the pool
    connections for the particular datasource with the assumption that a new
    connection would read the new definition of the datasource and point to the
    new server. But this is not behaving this way as new DB2 connections are
    still pointing to the old server name. I am sure bouncing the app server
    would clear things up but highly undesirable.

    > Using WAS 6.1.0.13 running on Redhat Linux.
    >
    > DB2 datasource goes through the DB2 Connect gateway before routing to DB2

    on zOS.

    > Server name: db2connsrv1 Port: 50000 Name: DB2TEST Type: 4
    >

    > Is there any other command I need to run? Do I need to somehow rebind the

    data source?

  4. Re: Datasource and connection pool

    Type 4 driver does not use the catalog references. Unlike type 2, it builds the connection based on the values entered in the datasource panel.

  5. Re: Datasource and connection pool

    Ben, you shouldn't have to bounce the app server to have the datsource modification recognized. The same as when you add a new datasource.

  6. Re: Datasource and connection pool

    > Ben, you shouldn't have to bounce the app server to have the datsource
    > modification recognized. The same as when you add a new datasource.

    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean to say to me.

+ Reply to Thread