Multiple portlet instance sharing same data model delivered by asingle service call - Websphere

This is a discussion on Multiple portlet instance sharing same data model delivered by asingle service call - Websphere ; I have very little experience with portals and have to advise a client that uses WPS on a integration solution, but none of the local resources seem to know any more than I do. The produce that they want to ...

  1. Multiple portlet instance sharing same data model delivered by asingle service call

    I have very little experience with portals and have to advise a client
    that uses WPS on a integration solution, but none of the local
    resources seem to know any more than I do.

    The produce that they want to integrate (mine) is just a simple back-
    end type of service. The pattern I'm asking about is one that I have
    implemented in other environments but I don't know enough about WPS to
    adequately advise the current client. I will attempt to state the
    question in terms of portal nomenclature but due to lack of knowledge
    I may be way off base or sound like an idiot. I don't have the luxury
    of time (remote at the client site with just my dev laptop and a bunch
    of VMs on external disks) to fully learn WPS nor would it run on my
    dev box (OS X) and none of my virtual machines are configured with
    enough space to load it.

    The Issue:
    This service will provide 0 or more data objects per request. Each
    page that the visitor views can have 0 or more portlets to display 1
    or more data object(s) in each container (controlled by instance
    configuration). There is a requirement that all data objects on a page
    be unique. Therefore, due to constraints of the service, there needs
    to be only one call to the service per page and that call needs to
    pass the parameters of all instances of the portlet in question. The
    service can then tag each of the data objects with the id of the
    portlet instance that is it's target and a model containing data for
    all instances can be returned. Then each portlet instance would render
    only it's associated data from the common model. I'm assuming there
    should be a method to stuff this model into the execution context and
    each request would first check to see if the service has already been
    called. Is this at all possible? If so, are instances of the same
    portlet executed serially (not ordered) or in parallel? If parallel is
    there a way to impose some dependency since the service will likely
    take longer than the spawning of processes for parallel portlet
    execution.

    An alternative that I'm wondering about is to have one "source"
    portlet which provides the data for all "sink" portlet instances and
    manages a single call to the service. Would the source portlet be able
    to inspect the parameters of the sinks or would the source need to be
    explicitly configured with information about all the sinks on the same
    page? Note, the sinks would not necessarily be children of the source.

    Any help is greatly appreciated. Even just pointing me to a relevant
    on-line resource (the more detailed the better) would be great (more
    specific than IBM developer site).

  2. Re: Multiple portlet instance sharing same data model delivered by asingle service call

    Still looking for any guidance.

+ Reply to Thread