WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell - Websphere

This is a discussion on WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell - Websphere ; Hi, I'm trying to federate a WebSphere Application Server 5.1.1.11 node in a WebSphre Network Deployment 6.1.0.13 Cell. The WebSphere 5.1 machine can connect using telnet to 8879 port in Cell machine. These WebSphere are running on pSeries PPC64 with ...

  1. WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Hi,

    I'm trying to federate a WebSphere Application Server 5.1.1.11 node in a
    WebSphre Network Deployment 6.1.0.13 Cell.

    The WebSphere 5.1 machine can connect using telnet to 8879 port in Cell
    machine.

    These WebSphere are running on pSeries PPC64 with SLES 9 PPC64, and the
    machines are installed and configured from scratch.

    I readed the documentation and seems that the coexistence of nodes with
    WebSphere 5.1 in a Cell 6.1 is allowed.

    A little bit of the trace:
    [3/7/08 17:14:06:052 CET] 1f57c0b5 ManagerAdmin I TRAS0017I: The
    startup trace state is com.ibm.ws.management.tools.*=all=enabled.
    [3/7/08 17:14:06:068 CET] 1f57c0b5 AdminTool d executing utility
    with arguments: /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/config iselin12WAS51
    iselin12WAS51 iselin11 8879 -startingport 12000 -username wasadmin
    -password ********* -replacelog
    [3/7/08 17:14:08:310 CET] 1f57c0b5 AbstractNodeC E ADMU0006E: Exception
    creating Deployment Manager connection:
    com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.ConnectorEx ception: ADMC0016E:
    Could not create SOAP Connector to connect to host iselin11 at port 8879
    at
    com.ibm.websphere.management.AdminClientFactory.cr eateAdminClient(AdminClientFactory.java:369)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.management.tools.AbstractNodeConfigUtil ity.getAdminClient(AbstractNodeConfigUtility.java: 174)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.management.tools.NodeFederationUtility. runTool(NodeFederationUtility.java:264)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.tools.AdminTool.executeUtili ty(AdminTool.java:188)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.management.tools.NodeFederationUtility. main(NodeFederationUtility.java:164)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at
    sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:85)
    at
    sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:58)
    at
    sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
    at com.ibm.ws.bootstrap.WSLauncher.run(WSLauncher.jav a:222)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:570)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
    at
    sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:80)
    at
    sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:44)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:315)
    at
    com.ibm.websphere.management.AdminClientFactory.cr eateAdminClient(AdminClientFactory.java:300)
    ... 11 more
    Caused by:
    com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.ConnectorNo tAvailableException
    at
    com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnector Client.reconnect(SOAPConnectorClient.java:253)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnector Client.(SOAPConnectorClient.java:186)
    ... 16 more
    Caused by: [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client; msg=Error parsing
    HTTP status line "voke(Unknown Source)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnector Client$2.run(SOAPConnectorClient.java:236)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.security.util.AccessController.doPrivil eged(AccessController.java:111)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnector Client.reconnect(SOAPConnectorClient.java:233)
    ... 17 more
    ---- Begin backtrace for nested exception
[...]

  2. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Could not create SOAP Connector to connect to host iselin11 at port 8879

    at

    looking at the logs, one possible reason could be the host qualified name. do u telnet to the host using iselin11 or iselin11.xxxxxx.com???

  3. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Is the 6.1.0.13 cell secured with Global Security?

    John Pape

    WebSphere Advisory Software Engineer

  4. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Hi John,

    The 6.1.0.13 has enabled the Global Security, but I used the parameters
    -username and -password with the addNode.sh command.

    addNode.sh iselin11 8879 -startingport 12000 -username wasadmin
    -password ********* -replacelog

    Regards,
    Dani

    jtpape wrote:
    > Is the 6.1.0.13 cell secured with Global Security?

    > John Pape

    > WebSphere Advisory Software Engineer

  5. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Hi,

    From the node machine I can telnet to the host iselin11 at port 8879.

    Regards,
    Dani

    Praveen Singh wrote:

    > Could not create SOAP Connector to connect to host iselin11 at port 8879

    > at

    > looking at the logs, one possible reason could be the host qualified name. do u telnet to the host using iselin11 or iselin11.xxxxxx.com???

  6. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    check if this helps you,

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v5r1//index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/rsec_trbsslinterop.html

    Praveen

  7. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Hi,

    After copy the keys from the dmgr 6.1.0.13 machine to the node 5.1.1.11
    I get this message.

    ADMN1100E: Invalid request: attempt was made to add or remove a node
    with WebSphere version < 6.0 to a cell controlled by dmgr at version
    6.1.0.13.

    In the infocenter I found the following information
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...inservice.html
    ADMN1100E: Invalid request: attempt was made to add or remove a node
    with WebSphere version < 6.0 to a cell controlled by dmgr at version {0}.
    Problem Adding or removing a node with WebSphere version < 6.0 into
    a cell controlled by a dmgr at the 6.0 or higher version is not supported.
    User response If this message resulted from attempting to add a
    node, you should upgrade the node that you wish to add to WebSphere 6.0
    or higher before adding it to this cell. If this message resulted from
    attempting to remove a node, please refer to the special instructions
    for removing a 5.x node from a cell controlled by a 6.x (or higher) dmgr.

    In the interoperability guide I found this information
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...g_interop.html
    Guideline 4:
    If you want to interoperate WebSphere Application Server Version 6.1
    with Version 5.0, you must be at or above the Version 5.0.2.7 level. If
    you want to interoperate Version 6.1 with Version 5.1, you must be at or
    above the Version 5.1.1.1 level. Older levels of Version 5.0 and Version
    5.1 do not support interoperability with Version 6.1

    I don't want a complex infrastructure, only add one application server
    running WAS 5.1 to my cell in WAS 6.1, is it possible?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dani

    Praveen Singh wrote:
    > check if this helps you,

    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v5r1//index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/rsec_trbsslinterop.html

    > Praveen

  8. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    if you want to add one application server running WAS 5.1 to a cell in WAS 6.1, you need to upgrade your application server to WAS 5.1.1 (From http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/topic/com.ibm.websphere.nd.doc/info/ae/ae/tmig_interop.html

    Guideline 4)

  9. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Pretty sure he said that he was on 5.1.1.11 on the node in question. So he is at the prerequisite level.

    John Pape

    WebSphere Advisory Software Engineer

  10. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Hi,

    I think that the servers accomplish all the requisites, WAS ND 6.1.0.13
    and WAS 5.1.1.11, running over SLES9 PPC64 with all the fixes.

    This document shows that the coexistence is possible.
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...g_coexist.html

    But the error code ADMN1100E shows the opposite
    ADMN1100E: Invalid request: attempt was made to add or remove a node
    with WebSphere version < 6.0 to a cell controlled by dmgr at version
    6.1.0.13.

    The addNode best practices
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce..._nodetips.html
    Shows the following:
    You cannot add a Version 5.x node to an existing cell managed by a
    Version 6.x deployment manager.
    You can only include Version 5.x nodes in a Version 6.x mixed-release
    cell through migration. First, migrate the deployment manager from
    Version 5.x to Version 6.x; and then, either keep the nodes at Version
    5.x or migrate them to Version 6.x

    My machines are installed from scratch, it could be the problem?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dani

    Praveen Singh wrote:
    > if you want to add one application server running WAS 5.1 to a cell in WAS 6.1, you need to upgrade your application server to WAS 5.1.1 (From http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/topic/com.ibm.websphere.nd.doc/info/ae/ae/tmig_interop.html

    > Guideline 4)

  11. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Daniel Garcia wrote:

    > The addNode best practices
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce..._nodetips.html
    >
    > Shows the following:
    > You cannot add a Version 5.x node to an existing cell managed by a
    > Version 6.x deployment manager.
    > You can only include Version 5.x nodes in a Version 6.x mixed-release
    > cell through migration. First, migrate the deployment manager from
    > Version 5.x to Version 6.x; and then, either keep the nodes at Version
    > 5.x or migrate them to Version 6.x

    This seems pretty self-explanatory ...

    I wouldn't ever recommend migrating a cell from a lower level to a
    higher one though. It's always better to build a new cell, and
    reconfigure your apps there. If you have good scripts, this should not
    be too much work.

    Why not just keep your WAS 5.1 stuff in its own cell?

    This is especially true going to WAS 6.1, which is secure by default if
    you create a new cell, but not if you migrate from a lower release.

  12. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Hi,

    I'm testing to include one WAS 5.1 in my WAS 6.1 Cell by some legacy
    applications that it can't be modified by compatibility with JVM 1.4. Is
    very strange that a WAS ND 6.1 migrated from WAS ND 5.1 can manage WAS
    5.1 nodes, and a pure WAS ND 6.1 can't manage it, but seems the only
    solution. My migration was very fast, only 3 weeks.

    I'm trying to move all my WebSphere to the same cell to simplify the
    infrastructure with only one management point. By other hand WAS ND 6.1
    allows me to add a node running only IHS 6.1 to put the machine in the
    DMZ, and my other machines with WebSphere 6.1 + IHS 6.1 in the intranet,
    and when an application is installed I can decide if I can publish my
    application on Internet or only for internal use.

    If I have 2 cell, one with 6.1 and another with 5.1, It's needed to
    configure manually the file plugin-cfg.xml in the DMZ machine to allow
    access to my internal applications from Internet.

    We have customers with WAS 5.0 running applications developed by other
    companies, and they don't want to move your application servers, they
    have several machines and cells, to manage their WebSphere infrastructure.

    Finally, I think that I will to configure a virtualhost in the IHS 6.1
    machine in the DMZ, and I will connect the IHS 6.1 with the WAS 5.1
    webserver using a proxy-reverse.

    Regards,
    Dani

    Paul Ilechko wrote:
    > Daniel Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> The addNode best practices
    >> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce..._nodetips.html
    >>
    >> Shows the following:
    >> You cannot add a Version 5.x node to an existing cell managed by a
    >> Version 6.x deployment manager.
    >> You can only include Version 5.x nodes in a Version 6.x mixed-release
    >> cell through migration. First, migrate the deployment manager from
    >> Version 5.x to Version 6.x; and then, either keep the nodes at Version
    >> 5.x or migrate them to Version 6.x

    > This seems pretty self-explanatory ...
    >
    > I wouldn't ever recommend migrating a cell from a lower level to a
    > higher one though. It's always better to build a new cell, and
    > reconfigure your apps there. If you have good scripts, this should not
    > be too much work.
    >
    > Why not just keep your WAS 5.1 stuff in its own cell?
    >
    > This is especially true going to WAS 6.1, which is secure by default if
    > you create a new cell, but not if you migrate from a lower release.

  13. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Daniel Garcia wrote:

    > If I have 2 cell, one with 6.1 and another with 5.1, It's needed to
    > configure manually the file plugin-cfg.xml in the DMZ machine to allow
    > access to my internal applications from Internet.

    Not if you run dedicated HTTP server instances for the WAS 5 apps ...
    not really a big deal, they could be on the same nodes.

  14. Re: WAS 5.1 node in WAS 6.1 Cell

    Yes, because I use always the port 80 and www to connect to my
    application servers.

    Now I create a virtualhost to access to WAS 5.1 applications and another
    to connect with WAS 6.1 applications.

    I prefer this configuration because I don't want to modify manually the
    plugin-cfg.xml file.

    Regards,
    Dani

    Paul Ilechko wrote:
    > Daniel Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> If I have 2 cell, one with 6.1 and another with 5.1, It's needed to
    >> configure manually the file plugin-cfg.xml in the DMZ machine to allow
    >> access to my internal applications from Internet.

    > Not if you run dedicated HTTP server instances for the WAS 5 apps ...
    > not really a big deal, they could be on the same nodes.

+ Reply to Thread