Generating Offline URLs to Virtual Portals - Websphere

This is a discussion on Generating Offline URLs to Virtual Portals - Websphere ; At http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc /v510/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wp.zos.doc/wps/dgn_link.html , the InfoCenter reads: Notes: 1. When you create URLs, all referenced portal resources must exist in the current portal environment. In particular, object IDs must be valid and refer to a portal resource and unique names ...

  1. Generating Offline URLs to Virtual Portals

    At http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc /v510/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wp.zos.doc/wps/dgn_link.html, the InfoCenter reads:

    Notes:

    1. When you create URLs, all referenced portal resources must exist in the current portal environment. In particular, object IDs must be valid and refer to a portal resource and unique names must be resolvable to object IDs.

    2. You cannot create URLs in one virtual portal that address portal resource in another virtual portal. The reason is that both object IDs and unique names relate to resources of the local virtual portal.

    What about when you are creating URLs using the offline methods (with a ServerContext). Creating online URLs is not an option for our application. Is it possible to generate a URL targeting a virtual portal? What about if we make sure that custom unique names across virtual portals do not clash?

  2. Re: Generating Offline URLs to Virtual Portals

    you cannot use the uniquename to target across virtual portals

    you have to do something like the following

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=688&ca=portall2&uid=swg21271209

    when doing it in 5.1 you also have to use the following fix and setting documented in the fix

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=688&ca=portall2&uid=swg1PK47271

  3. Re: Generating Offline URLs to Virtual Portals

    Thanks Jim! That was fast and exactly what I needed.

  4. Re: Generating Offline URLs to Virtual Portals

    Jim,

    I have another related question... how often do the object ids referenced in the article change? Are they constant for the life of the page/portlet? Are there other maintenance issues or best practices associated with referencing object ids directly?

  5. Re: Generating Offline URLs to Virtual Portals

    the object ids are valid as long as you do not delete the object. So for targeting a portlet, as long as the portlet is not deleted from the page, then the objectid will remain the same. Same with pages, as long as you do not delete them the objectid remains the same. now if you delete it and readd it via xmlaccess, if done correctly it will still have the same objectid. That is the big thing to be aware of that if you delete the portlet from the page, or the page from portal then it when you recreate it or add it back it will not have the same objectid.

  6. Re: Generating Offline URLs to Virtual Portals

    Thanks, that's what I figured. It sounds like a good solution, since if we used the custom unique name of the portlet's component instead of the object ID it would have to be set via XMLAccess anyhow.

    Thanks again,

    Ben

+ Reply to Thread