EJB 3.0 Feature Pack breaks Process Server Admin Console - Websphere

This is a discussion on EJB 3.0 Feature Pack breaks Process Server Admin Console - Websphere ; Hi everyone, yesterday I installed the EJB 3.0 Feature Pack on top of an existing instance of Websphere Process Server, along with the recommended fix pack IFPK56653. Everything worked fine so far, no error messages during installation. However, when I ...

  1. EJB 3.0 Feature Pack breaks Process Server Admin Console

    Hi everyone,

    yesterday I installed the EJB 3.0 Feature Pack on top of an existing instance of Websphere Process Server, along with the recommended fix pack IFPK56653.

    Everything worked fine so far, no error messages during installation.

    However, when I logged in to the Admin Console the menu on the left-hand side was broken with a NullPointerException. When I clicked on the Process Server entry on the right-hand side several other errors occurred saying "Misssing resource key ...". I was able to track the problem down to the ResourceBundle files under \bi_v61\systemApps\isclite.ear\isclite.war\WEB-INF\classes\com\ ibm\ws\console\core\resources.

    Obviously, they were overwritten by the EJB 3.0 feature pack installer. The errors occured because the Struts application of the Admin Console could not find the WPS-related resource keys any more. When I saved these files back with a previously created backup, the console worked again. However, I do not know if this will have any side-effects like EJB3-related configuration items being unavailable or broken.

    Maybe anyone ran into the same problems or otherwise has any experience with EJB 3.0 feature pack installed on Process Server.

    Thanks ahead for your help! Best regards,

    Matthias

  2. Re: EJB 3.0 Feature Pack breaks Process Server Admin Console

    Feature packs are not presently supported for installation on top of WebSphere stack products such as Process Server. They are only supported for installation on top of WebSphere Application Server.

    oma@highq-it.de wrote:
    > Hi everyone,

    > yesterday I installed the EJB 3.0 Feature Pack on top of an existing instance of Websphere Process Server, along with the recommended fix pack IFPK56653.

    > Everything worked fine so far, no error messages during installation.

    > However, when I logged in to the Admin Console the menu on the left-hand side was broken with a NullPointerException. When I clicked on the Process Server entry on the right-hand side several other errors occurred saying "Misssing resource key ...". I was able to track the problem down to the ResourceBundle files under \bi_v61\systemApps\isclite.ear\isclite.war\WEB-INF\classes\com\ ibm\ws\console\core\resources.

    > Obviously, they were overwritten by the EJB 3.0 feature pack installer. The errors occured because the Struts application of the Admin Console could not find the WPS-related resource keys any more. When I saved these files back with a previously created backup, the console worked again. However, I do not know if this will have any side-effects like EJB3-related configuration items being unavailable or broken.

    > Maybe anyone ran into the same problems or otherwise has any experience with EJB 3.0 feature pack installed on Process Server.

    > Thanks ahead for your help! Best regards,

    > Matthias

  3. Re: EJB 3.0 Feature Pack breaks Process Server Admin Console

    Thanks Randy, for your quick reply.

    Are there any plans to support feature packs with stack products like WPS? Is it likely that the underlying EJB infrastructure of WPS will be migrated to EJB 3.0 in the near future?

    Best regards,

    Matthias

  4. Re: EJB 3.0 Feature Pack breaks Process Server Admin Console

    Hi,
    This is a public forum and it would not be appropriate for me to discuss possible future plans. I'd recommend you contact your IBM rep and pass the requirement on.

    oma@highq-it.de wrote:
    > Thanks Randy, for your quick reply.

    > Are there any plans to support feature packs with stack products like WPS? Is it likely that the underlying EJB infrastructure of WPS will be migrated to EJB 3.0 in the near future?

    > Best regards,

    > Matthias

  5. Re: EJB 3.0 Feature Pack breaks Process Server Admin Console

    Although I have no internal knowledge not being an IBM employee I would highly doubt this will be possible.

    The reason is it takes a while for the stack products to be released on new versions of the WAS server as it is. Process Server just released 6.1 on top of WAS 6.1 even though WAS 6.1 has been with us for a while. Portal 6.1 isn't even out yet.

    Expecting that stack products would be supported on the feature packs, which are almost like a "pre-release" version of some of the new features that will be in the next WAS GA release is probably not going to happen.

    We'll get there though

    Can't wait for fully Java EE 5 WAS!

    Stuart Smith

    Administration Lead

    Web Age Solutions

    IBM Certified Advanced System Administrator, WAS-ND v6.1

    stuart.smith@webagesolutions.com

+ Reply to Thread