Portlet Deployment in Cluster - Websphere

This is a discussion on Portlet Deployment in Cluster - Websphere ; Hi, Can someone explain me how a portlet deployment works in Cluster deployment. we have a horizontal cluster of 2 WebSphere Portal nodes. What I know, I can connect to any Portal, deploy the portlet there and restating the cluster ...

  1. Portlet Deployment in Cluster

    Hi,

    Can someone explain me how a portlet deployment works in Cluster deployment. we have a horizontal cluster of 2 WebSphere Portal nodes. What I know, I
    can connect to any Portal, deploy the portlet there and restating the cluster will do it. Is this correct? I followed this step, I was able to see portlet in Portal administration but when I plced the portlet on a page, I got the Portlet unavailable error. please help me.

    Thanks
    Praveen

  2. Re: Portlet Deployment in Cluster

    Well the best way is to do this.

    1. deploy how you see fit(xmlaccess or gui)

    2. do a full synch of the nodes

    3.make sure the application is started in the dmgr

    4. run the activate portlet tasks either through the gui, or through the wpsconfig command

    you should be good to go at that point
    Jim

  3. Re: Portlet Deployment in Cluster

    On Jan 16, 1:05*pm, pksi...@us.ibm.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone explain me how a portlet deployment works in Cluster deployment. we have a horizontal cluster of 2 WebSphere Portal nodes. What I know, I
    > can connect to any Portal, deploy the portlet there and restating the cluster will do it. Is this correct? I followed this step, I was able to see portlet in Portal administration but when I plced the portlet on a page, I got the Portlet unavailable error. please help me.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Praveen

    When you deploy a portlet in a cluster, you will use the admin console
    to deploy the portlet. But when you see the portlet status (after
    searching the portlet in the console), you will see it as stopped.
    Click on the icon and start the portlet. If this does not work, go to
    the WAS admin console (Dmgr) and first sync the nodes and then search
    for the portlet application and check if is started or not. if its
    not started start it.

  4. Re: Portlet Deployment in Cluster

    Certain times you have to wait for some time till the changes are propagated and reflected on both nodes.

  5. Re: Portlet Deployment in Cluster

    running activate-portlets tasks after deploying through xmlaccess or gui would do the sync, and startup of the portlet applications ... i don't think you necessarily have to all the above and then run the activate-portlets task.

  6. Re: Portlet Deployment in Cluster

    I'm using WebSphere Portal 6.1.0.1 along with DB2 9.1 FP4, and TDS 6.0. I have a cluster, which currently consists of a single node and single WebSphere Portal Server. Later, I will federate a secondary node.

    I installed a web module containing a portlet application using the WPS Administration page. When I did so, I was told the installation was successful, but the web module could not be started. It said that I need to manually start the portlet application in the Manage Web Modules portlet.

    After doing the installation, I checked the log files for the dmgr and the nodeagent. The dmgr had copied the resulting EAR file and other configuration files to the nodeagent. Hence, they were in sync. I also opened the dmgr's admin console and was able to locate the resulting enterprise application. It was indeed in a stopped state.

    Based on the installation message above, I searched for the installed web module in the Manage Web Modules portlet and noticed that the Status of the web module was Stopped and there was an Activate button displayed to its right. I decided to click the Activate button and 3 things happened:

    1) A message was displayed indicating the web module was successfully started. (That's what I hoped would happen.)
    2) The Status column became empty (formerly was set to "Stopped").
    3) The Activate icon disappeared.

    I've attached a screenprint.

    I have a few questions:

    1) Is the behavior I experienced typical?

    2) If so, why does it not state in the InfoCenter that you can activate the portlet application using the Administration page? It only states that you should run the activate-portlets ConfigEngine command.

    3) Is the approach I took valid? Is it an alternative to using the activate-portlets command or will I potentially run into problems using this approach?

    4) When you install a web module, there is a radio button "Start application" that is selected by default. Why isn't there a message on the screen indicating that the application is NOT automatically started in a clustered environment?

    5) In the InfoCenter, it states "The deployed portlets must be activated before they can be used, which cannot be accomplished until the deployment manager has synchronized the associated Web modules to each node in the cluster.

    Note: Auto-synchronization of the Web modules to each node in the cluster might not happen immediately, or at all, depending on how the administrator has auto-synchronization configured in the deployment manager. For this reason, WebSphere Portal cannot guarantee that the portlet has been successfully synchronized to each node in the cluster and thus cannot automatically activate the portlet during deployment."

    In my case, node synchronization clearly did occur. Why can't WPS detect this?

  7. Re: Portlet Deployment in Cluster

    I have additional questions regarding the same issue, I would like to use API to activate the portlet, I am installing the application using XMLAccess and have automated that process. I donot want to perform any manual steps. I assume it is possible since mattster was able to activate the portlet via the administration page.

  8. Re: Portlet Deployment in Cluster

    i think it not posible for this time but in the future not sure
    go to see now Digs Free

+ Reply to Thread