Compression with HTTP Server - Websphere

This is a discussion on Compression with HTTP Server - Websphere ; We are experiencing where users that use IE6 that the pages load slower than firefox or IE7. Anybody else heard of this? Looking into using the mod_deflate for compression. Any suggestions using that? I want to compress everything that goes ...

  1. Compression with HTTP Server

    We are experiencing where users that use IE6 that the pages load slower than firefox or IE7. Anybody else heard of this? Looking into using the mod_deflate for compression. Any suggestions using that? I want to compress everything that goes to the client. Anybody have an example of how to set this up?

  2. Re: Compression with HTTP Server

    I have set it up like this in my httpd.conf file.

    LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so

    # Compression to Browser settings

    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

    DeflateCompressionLevel 9
    DeflateFilterNote Input instream
    DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
    DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
    LogFormat '"%h %l %u %t %r %>s %b" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate
    CustomLog /weblogs/conb/deflate_log deflate

    This seems to work. Now my question is how do I actually test if this makes a difference. The deflate_log does show the ratio percentage of compression, which shows anywhere form 95-100%, but how can I test any other way to see the difference other than bringing up the page in a browser?

  3. Re: Compression with HTTP Server

    mmeyer@cdsfulfillment.com wrote:
    > I have set it up like this in my httpd.conf file.
    >
    > LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
    >
    > # Compression to Browser settings
    >
    > SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    >

    > DeflateCompressionLevel 9
    > DeflateFilterNote Input instream
    > DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
    > DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
    > LogFormat '"%h %l %u %t %r %>s %b" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate
    > CustomLog /weblogs/conb/deflate_log deflate
    >

    > This seems to work. Now my question is how do I actually test if this makes a difference. The deflate_log does show the ratio percentage of compression, which shows anywhere form 95-100%, but how can I test any other way to see the difference other than bringing up the page in a browser?

    Log %D or %{Transfer-Encoding}, depending on what you mean by makes a
    difference.

  4. Re: Compression with HTTP Server

    Just trying to see if it is making a big difference. For example in one of my lines in my deflate_log file, at the end it says 26609/27456 (96%). So does this mean that mean that 96% of the data was compressed and saved back to the client?

  5. Re: Compression with HTTP Server

    mmeyer@cdsfulfillment.com wrote:
    > Just trying to see if it is making a big difference. For example in one of my lines in my deflate_log file, at the end it says 26609/27456 (96%). So does this mean that mean that 96% of the data was compressed and saved back to the client?

    I believe low compression ratios are good, not high, since the ratio is
    the size of the compressed message / the size of the orignal message.

    Logging %D w/ and w/o deflate turned on is probably a more direct way to
    see if there's any benefit.

  6. Re: Compression with HTTP Server

    指定资源下载失败〉*相关位置信息

    however everything back to normal as I disable mod_deflate

+ Reply to Thread