FATAL ERROR: Unexpected end of input - Websphere

This is a discussion on FATAL ERROR: Unexpected end of input - Websphere ; I have seen this error posted a couple of times before but I have not seen any suggestions on how to fix it. javax.xml.rpc.JAXRPCException: java.rmi.MarshalException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: FATAL ERROR: Unexpected end of input. at com.ibm.pvcws.jaxrpc.rpc.OperationImpl.invoke(Oper ationImpl.java:394) I am running the web ...

  1. FATAL ERROR: Unexpected end of input

    I have seen this error posted a couple of times before but I have not seen any suggestions on how to fix it.

    javax.xml.rpc.JAXRPCException: java.rmi.MarshalException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: FATAL ERROR: Unexpected end of input.
    at com.ibm.pvcws.jaxrpc.rpc.OperationImpl.invoke(Oper ationImpl.java:394)

    I am running the web service on Tomcat 5.5.17. I have used both Sun's jax-ws and the wsdd web service stub generation for the client.

    The response XML documents are being returned via HTTP/1.1 using chunking.

    I have 3 web methods. login() then a couple of others. The others return big enough documents that the chunking is used. The only web method that works for me is the login which returns a small document.

    I'm guessing the culprit is the chunking. From what I've read, the chunking can be got around by configuring the web service client to send http/1.0.

    1) Has anyone else had this problem? And have they been able to resolve it?
    2) Does anyone know how to configure the client to send requests via http/1.0 vice http/1.1?
    3) Is there another OperationImpl I can use?

    Thanks in advance.
    Tim

  2. Re: FATAL ERROR: Unexpected end of input

    I meant to add that the two bigger responses will work if I run the MIDP application in the debugger and put a breakpoint on the OperationImpl.invoke() and step through it. This makes me think it has something to do with the handling of the http response.

    Also, my target is an MIDP application running on Palm OS 5 (Treo 650).

    Thanks again.

  3. Re: FATAL ERROR: Unexpected end of input

    I installed my web services webapp on Jetty and I get the same message. I have tried both Sun's and IBM's auto generated web service clients and get the same type of message (just slightly different wording but the Sun message does give a better hint). I know the web services work because a coworker has written a native Windows Mobile client that has absolutely no problems (as a longtime Java programmer it does pain me to admit that).

    The only thing I can think of is there is a problem in the J9 JVM itself (maybe specifically in the J9 WebServices PRC).

    Is anybody out there running a real world web services client on the Palm device using the J9 JVM that is returning a big enough response document that the http response message is broken up into chunks? I'm really starting to wonder if the problem lies in that general area. The Sun client implementation was complaining that there was no soap envelope or header end tag. So it seems that the SAX parser started parsing the document before the entire thing arrived.

    I think that the SAX implementation in use by the J9 environment is not able to correctly handle HTTP/1.1 chunks (or maybe only a certain number of them (even though the last chunk tells you when its done)).

    I have version 5.7.0.20040623 of the J9 Web Services PRC. Is there a newer version?

    Even just someone saying they have this working and this is the environment it is working on would be of great help:

    1) web server/container =
    2) server-side web services stubs created using =
    3) client-side web services stubs created using = (or home-grown marshalling/unmarshalling)
    4) version of J9 JVM and Web Services PRCs
    5) version of Palm OS

    Here are my answers:

    1) Tried on both Tomcat 5.5.17 and Jetty 6.0RC0 (on Windows Server 2003)
    2) JAX-WS 2.0.1 w/WSIT (wsgen)
    3) Tried both Sun's JAX-WS for J2ME via eclipseME and IBM's via WSDD
    4) J9 Exchanger v.2.1, J9 Java Launcher v.2.2, J9 JVM v.2.2, J9 MIDP Bundle v.2.2.012, J9 Midp Options v.0.0, J9 WebServices 5.7.0.20040623
    5) PalmOS Garnet v.5.4.8 (on Treo 650)

    My apologies for being so verbose.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tim