J9 On K-Jam - Websphere

This is a discussion on J9 On K-Jam - Websphere ; Hi I wonder if anyone has experienced the following problem and if there is a way around it. I loaded weme-midp20en-5_7_2.cab on a Imate K-Jam I opened MIDlet HQ and tried to download a .jar file, the jar file could ...

  1. J9 On K-Jam

    Hi

    I wonder if anyone has experienced the following problem and if there is a
    way around it.

    I loaded weme-midp20en-5_7_2.cab on a Imate K-Jam

    I opened MIDlet HQ and tried to download a .jar file, the jar file could not
    be found, so I manually opened my GPRS connection and tried to get the jar
    file again, this worked and the jar file was successfully installed.

    When running the jar file all seemed fine until the app tried to connect to
    GPRS. At this point the app "froze", so once again I manually opened my GPRS
    connection manually and reran the app, it "froze".

    The app runs on Nokia and Sony-Ericsson devices.

    Any input would be appreciated.

    Regards
    Steve

  2. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Steve,

    You are trying with an old runtime. There is a new WEME MIDP runtime
    (6.1). Please try with that. You should be able to get where to download
    it from by looking through some of the earlier posts in this newsgroup.

    - Rajan
    Hi

    I wonder if anyone has experienced the following problem and if there is a
    way around it.

    I loaded weme-midp20en-5_7_2.cab on a Imate K-Jam

    I opened MIDlet HQ and tried to download a .jar file, the jar file could
    not
    be found, so I manually opened my GPRS connection and tried to get the jar
    file again, this worked and the jar file was successfully installed.

    When running the jar file all seemed fine until the app tried to connect
    GPRS. At this point the app "froze", so once again I manually opened my
    GPRS
    connection manually and reran the app, it "froze".

    The app runs on Nokia and Sony-Ericsson devices.

    Any input would be appreciated.

    Regards
    Steve

  3. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    Thanks for the info

    Steve
    wrote in message news:eaddco$4182s$1@news.boulder.ibm.com...

[...]

  4. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    I loaded 6.1 on the k-jam and the problem is exactly the same.

    any other ideas

[...]

  5. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Steve,

    Two quick questions,

    - Does the problem occur even when you try to use the MIDlet with
    ActiveSync network connection instead of GPRS?
    - Did you notice the same problem with any other device ? (i-mate JASJAR
    etc.)

    - Rajan

    wrote in message

[...]

  6. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    1. No I only connect using GPRS
    2. I have only tried it on Nokia and Sony-Ericsson devices on which it works perfectly. The reason I am looking at J9 is because Intent Java MIDlet manager gives other problems (however it does connect to GPRS with the same app) and TAO support isn't very good.

    Regards
    Steve
    wrote in message news:eair68$1847i$1@news.boulder.ibm.com...

[...]

  7. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Steve,

    I dont have a K-JAM with me to try it. I will try and see if I am able to
    reproduce the problem on an i-mate JASJAR device with J9. Could you
    confirm the version of J9 that you are using. You can get his from the
    "About" option in AMS (emulator).

    Could you confirm that these are the problems you are facing
    - "GPRS connection" is not automatically established when you are trying
    to access the network?
    - The App you are trying to use doesn't load correctly. Could you give
    more details about this app. Is this available on the internet or is this
    some app that you have developed?

    wrote in message

[...]

  8. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    Version - 2.3 build 20060317-1058

    You are correct the app will not connect to GPRS using J9 (however it does using intent)

    It is an app I developed - you can download it from http://www.sasnet.co.za/findex/rtrep.jar

    Thanks For The Help

    Regards
    Steve
    wrote in message news:ealcns$4982g$1@news.boulder.ibm.com...

[...]

  9. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Steve,

    With a JASJAR and a properly configured GPRS connection, the emulator
    worked as expected (automatically opened a connection for download).

    However, I did observe the freeze that you are mentioning when I chose
    "Download Stock" or something like that in the app. This happens even with
    an active sync connection. Expected result is a Permission Dialog to
    showup. This looks like a bug in our J9 MIDP runtime. But, I would need
    more information (code snippet) which captures the problem to open an
    internal bug tracker.

    For any official support regarding this bug you would need to get in touch
    with your local IBM representative.

    wrote in message

[...]

  10. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    Here is a code snippet

    public void run()
    {
    HttpConnection gprsconn = null;
    String str="";
    try
    {
    gprsconn = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(http://www.website.com + wpg);
    int rc = gprsconn.getResponseCode();
    if (rc != HttpConnection.HTTP_OK)
    {
    throw new IOException("HTTP response code: " + rc);
    }
    int length = (int) gprsconn.getLength();
    inps = gprsconn.openDataInputStream();
    int ch;
    if(length>0)
    {
    int actual = 0;
    int bytesread = 0 ;
    Integer ilen=new Integer(length);
    ef.append("\nLen = " + ilen.toString() + "\n");
    byte[] data = new byte[length];
    while ((bytesread != length) && (actual != -1))
    {
    actual = inps.read(data, bytesread, length - bytesread);
    bytesread += actual;
    }

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    }

    I really hope it helps

    Regards
    Steve
    wrote in message news:eanjb9$1604i$3@news.boulder.ibm.com...

[...]

  11. Re: J9 On K-Jam

  12. Re: J9 On K-Jam

  13. Re: J9 On K-Jam

  14. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    The code is part of a seperate thread (on Sun's Mobility Java Forum, it is
    reccomended to do it this way)

    connGPRS(Form f, Display d, String ipg)
    {
    ed=d;
    ef=f;
    wpg="";
    wpg=ipg;
    t=new Thread(this);
    t.start();
    while (gret==999)
    {
    try
    {
    t.sleep(1);
    }
    catch(Exception e){}
    }
    //upld();
    }

    The above code calls the thread and f (therefore ef) is already the current
    form

    Thanks
    Steve

    wrote in message
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > Looking at this code snippet, I believe this is being run as part of a
    > separate thread. Could you also confirm that there is a
    > Display.setCurrent() call simultaneously from another thread when this
    > problem happens?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Rajan

    > Hi Rajan
    >
    > Here is a code snippet
    >
    > public void run()
    > {
    > HttpConnection gprsconn = null;
    > String str="";
    > try
    > {
    > gprsconn = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(http://www.website.com +
    > wpg);
    > int rc = gprsconn.getResponseCode();
    > if (rc != HttpConnection.HTTP_OK)
    > {
    > throw new IOException("HTTP response code: " + rc);
    > }
    > int length = (int) gprsconn.getLength();
    > inps = gprsconn.openDataInputStream();
    > int ch;
    > if(length>0)
    > {
    > int actual = 0;
    > int bytesread = 0 ;
    > Integer ilen=new Integer(length);
    > ef.append("\nLen = " + ilen.toString() + "\n");
    > byte[] data = new byte[length];
    > while ((bytesread != length) && (actual != -1))
    > {
    > actual = inps.read(data, bytesread, length - bytesread);
    > bytesread += actual;

  15. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    Do you have a contact person in Johannesburg, South Africa who may be able
    to assist with the problem.

    Regards
    Steve

    wrote in message
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > Looking at this code snippet, I believe this is being run as part of a
    > separate thread. Could you also confirm that there is a
    > Display.setCurrent() call simultaneously from another thread when this
    > problem happens?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Rajan

    > Hi Rajan
    >
    > Here is a code snippet
    >
    > public void run()
    > {
    > HttpConnection gprsconn = null;
    > String str="";
    > try
    > {
    > gprsconn = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(http://www.website.com +
    > wpg);
    > int rc = gprsconn.getResponseCode();
    > if (rc != HttpConnection.HTTP_OK)
    > {
    > throw new IOException("HTTP response code: " + rc);
    > }
    > int length = (int) gprsconn.getLength();
    > inps = gprsconn.openDataInputStream();
    > int ch;
    > if(length>0)
    > {
    > int actual = 0;
    > int bytesread = 0 ;
    > Integer ilen=new Integer(length);
    > ef.append("\nLen = " + ilen.toString() + "\n");
    > byte[] data = new byte[length];
    > while ((bytesread != length) && (actual != -1))
    > {
    > actual = inps.read(data, bytesread, length - bytesread);
    > bytesread += actual;

  16. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Steve,

    Not that I am aware of. You may try your luck with the local IBM support
    out there. I will try and see if I could suggest you a workaround for this
    problem.

    +
    > wpg);
    > int rc = gprsconn.getResponseCode();
    > if (rc != HttpConnection.HTTP_OK)
    > {
    > throw new IOException("HTTP response code: " + rc);
    > }
    > int length = (int) gprsconn.getLength();
    > inps = gprsconn.openDataInputStream();
    > int ch;
    > if(length>0)
    > {
    > int actual = 0;
    > int bytesread = 0 ;
    > Integer ilen=new Integer(length);
    > ef.append("\nLen = " + ilen.toString() + "\n");
    > byte[] data = new byte[length];
    > while ((bytesread != length) && (actual != -1))
    > {
    > actual = inps.read(data, bytesread, length - bytesread);
    > bytesread += actual;

  17. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    Thanks for the help, I guess I will just have to stick with Nokia and Sony Ericsson devices until the glitches with JVM's on Windows based phones are sorted.

    Regards
    Steve

    wrote in message
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > Looking at this code snippet, I believe this is being run as part of a
    > separate thread. Could you also confirm that there is a
    > Display.setCurrent() call simultaneously from another thread when this
    > problem happens?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Rajan

    > Hi Rajan
    >
    > Here is a code snippet
    >
    > public void run()
    > {
    > HttpConnection gprsconn = null;
    > String str="";
    > try
    > {
    > gprsconn = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(http://www.website.com +
    > wpg);
    > int rc = gprsconn.getResponseCode();
    > if (rc != HttpConnection.HTTP_OK)
    > {
    > throw new IOException("HTTP response code: " + rc);
    > }
    > int length = (int) gprsconn.getLength();
    > inps = gprsconn.openDataInputStream();
    > int ch;
    > if(length>0)
    > {
    > int actual = 0;
    > int bytesread = 0 ;
    > Integer ilen=new Integer(length);
    > ef.append("\nLen = " + ilen.toString() + "\n");
    > byte[] data = new byte[length];
    > while ((bytesread != length) && (actual != -1))
    > {
    > actual = inps.read(data, bytesread, length - bytesread);
    > bytesread += actual;

  18. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Steve,

    Running through the debugger I could see what was causing the deadlock.
    The Permission Dialog (which showsup to ask permission to the user if it
    can acess the network) need to use the UI thread, but the UI thread is
    blocked in the commandAction() inturn. Making your connection directly
    from the commandAction() instead of doing it from a separate thread would
    resolve this issue. This is the suggested workaround. HTH.

    wrote in message
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > Looking at this code snippet, I believe this is being run as part of a
    > separate thread. Could you also confirm that there is a
    > Display.setCurrent() call simultaneously from another thread when this
    > problem happens?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Rajan

    > Hi Rajan
    >
    > Here is a code snippet
    >
    > public void run()
    > {
    > HttpConnection gprsconn = null;
    > String str="";
    > try
    > {
    > gprsconn = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(http://www.website.com

    +
    > wpg);
    > int rc = gprsconn.getResponseCode();
    > if (rc != HttpConnection.HTTP_OK)
    > {
    > throw new IOException("HTTP response code: " + rc);
    > }
    > int length = (int) gprsconn.getLength();
    > inps = gprsconn.openDataInputStream();
    > int ch;
    > if(length>0)
    > {
    > int actual = 0;
    > int bytesread = 0 ;
    > Integer ilen=new Integer(length);
    > ef.append("\nLen = " + ilen.toString() + "\n");
    > byte[] data = new byte[length];
    > while ((bytesread != length) && (actual != -1))
    > {
    > actual = inps.read(data, bytesread, length - bytesread);
    > bytesread += actual;

  19. Re: J9 On K-Jam

    Hi Rajan

    Thanks, I'll give it a try

    Steve

    wrote in message
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > Looking at this code snippet, I believe this is being run as part of a
    > separate thread. Could you also confirm that there is a
    > Display.setCurrent() call simultaneously from another thread when this
    > problem happens?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Rajan

    > Hi Rajan
    >
    > Here is a code snippet
    >
    > public void run()
    > {
    > HttpConnection gprsconn = null;
    > String str="";
    > try
    > {
    > gprsconn = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(http://www.website.com +
    > wpg);
    > int rc = gprsconn.getResponseCode();
    > if (rc != HttpConnection.HTTP_OK)
    > {
    > throw new IOException("HTTP response code: " + rc);
    > }
    > int length = (int) gprsconn.getLength();
    > inps = gprsconn.openDataInputStream();
    > int ch;
    > if(length>0)
    > {
    > int actual = 0;
    > int bytesread = 0 ;
    > Integer ilen=new Integer(length);
    > ef.append("\nLen = " + ilen.toString() + "\n");
    > byte[] data = new byte[length];
    > while ((bytesread != length) && (actual != -1))
    > {
    > actual = inps.read(data, bytesread, length - bytesread);
    > bytesread += actual;

+ Reply to Thread