Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1 - Websphere ; When I try to create breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1, nothing happens. No error message, no new breakpoint, nothing. In addition, when I try to debug, it never seems to actually fire up the debugger at all. I'm targeting Palm OS ...

  1. Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1

    When I try to create breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1, nothing happens. No
    error message, no new breakpoint, nothing. In addition, when I try to
    debug, it never seems to actually fire up the debugger at all.

    I'm targeting Palm OS 5. Anybody have any suggestions? I've read
    through this group, and the help, and haven't found anything that I've
    not already tried.

    Eric Shepherd

  2. Re: Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1

    Eric,

    Are you using the MIDP visual editor or the Java Editor? The MIDP
    visual editor does not support adding breakpoints. To use the Java
    Editor, right click on the File and use Open as ...

    Then to add the breakpoints, click in the editor border area to the left
    of the text or use the Run > Toggle Breakpoint menu item.

    kevin

    Eric Shepherd wrote:
    > When I try to create breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1, nothing happens. No
    > error message, no new breakpoint, nothing. In addition, when I try to
    > debug, it never seems to actually fire up the debugger at all.
    >
    > I'm targeting Palm OS 5. Anybody have any suggestions? I've read
    > through this group, and the help, and haven't found anything that I've
    > not already tried.
    >
    > Eric Shepherd

  3. Re: Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1

    On 2005-03-11 20:00:09 -0500, Kevin Horowitz said:

    > Eric,
    >
    > Are you using the MIDP visual editor or the Java Editor? The MIDP
    > visual editor does not support adding breakpoints. To use the Java
    > Editor, right click on the File and use Open as ...
    >
    > Then to add the breakpoints, click in the editor border area to the
    > left of the text or use the Run > Toggle Breakpoint menu item.
    >
    > kevin

    OK, after a few tries, I managed to get it into a mode where there's a
    light blue bar in the gutter, but clicking in that doesn't do anything.
    Neither does Run > Toggle Breakpoint.

    Any more ideas? I get the feeling we're getting close...

    > Eric Shepherd wrote:
    >> When I try to create breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1, nothing happens. No
    >> error message, no new breakpoint, nothing. In addition, when I try to
    >> debug, it never seems to actually fire up the debugger at all.
    >>
    >> I'm targeting Palm OS 5. Anybody have any suggestions? I've read
    >> through this group, and the help, and haven't found anything that I've
    >> not already tried.
    >>
    >> Eric Shepherd

  4. Re: Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1

    On 2005-03-11 21:45:49 -0500, Eric Shepherd said:

    > , after a few tries, I managed to get it into a mode where there's a
    > light blue bar in the gutter, but clicking in that doesn't do anything.
    > Neither does Run > Toggle Breakpoint.

    I did also finally get it to let me add method breakpoints, but the
    commands to resume, step, etc. never become enabled even after it
    breaks at the breakpoint.

    Eric Shepherd

  5. Re: Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1

    Eric,

    If wsdd doesn't switch to debug perspective at all, check the "default
    perspective for debug" setting in Preferences/Debug. (It should of
    course be set to "Debug")

    Dan Björkgren

    Eric Shepherd wrote:
    > On 2005-03-11 21:45:49 -0500, Eric Shepherd said:
    >
    >> , after a few tries, I managed to get it into a mode where there's a
    >> light blue bar in the gutter, but clicking in that doesn't do
    >> anything. Neither does Run > Toggle Breakpoint.

    > I did also finally get it to let me add method breakpoints, but the
    > commands to resume, step, etc. never become enabled even after it breaks
    > at the breakpoint.
    >
    > Eric Shepherd

  6. Re: Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1

    In my experience breakpoints don't work with the main midlet file,
    probably because it's confused about the extra design pane.
    With any other file breakpoints work.

    The same goes for lookups: search all files for some method,
    then doubleclick the search results. Works ok for all files except
    the midlet itself, where you get an error message and the functionality
    is then broken until you perform a new search.

    The IDE is overall rather buggy IMHO.

    Troels

    "Dan Björkgren" wrote in message
    > Eric,
    >
    > If wsdd doesn't switch to debug perspective at all, check the "default
    > perspective for debug" setting in Preferences/Debug. (It should of course
    > be set to "Debug")
    >
    > Dan Björkgren
    >
    > Eric Shepherd wrote:
    >> On 2005-03-11 21:45:49 -0500, Eric Shepherd said:
    >>
    >>> , after a few tries, I managed to get it into a mode where there's a
    >>> light blue bar in the gutter, but clicking in that doesn't do anything.
    >>> Neither does Run > Toggle Breakpoint.

    >> I did also finally get it to let me add method breakpoints, but the
    >> commands to resume, step, etc. never become enabled even after it breaks
    >> at the breakpoint.
    >>
    >> Eric Shepherd

  7. Re: Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1

    On 2005-03-12 05:55:45 -0500, "Troels Jakobsen" said:

    > In my experience breakpoints don't work with the main midlet file,
    > probably because it's confused about the extra design pane.
    > With any other file breakpoints work.

    Interestingly, breakpoints seem to work fine if I use any of the demo
    projects that come with WSDD -- even in the main midlet file, but don't
    with my own.

    That's weird.

    Eric Shepherd

  8. Re: Can't add breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1

    On 2005-03-11 17:16:59 -0500, Eric Shepherd said:

    > When I try to create breakpoints in WSDD 5.7.1, nothing happens. No
    > error message, no new breakpoint, nothing. In addition, when I try to
    > debug, it never seems to actually fire up the debugger at all.

    It looks like the real problem is that I didn't have the debug view
    enabled; it doesn't come up automatically when you start debugging, and
    without it visible, you can't actually do anything. Once I made it
    visible, everything started working.

    Eric Shepherd

+ Reply to Thread