connection pooling in java - Websphere

This is a discussion on connection pooling in java - Websphere ; Hi, We use connectionpooling in our webapplications. The connectionpooling is setup in our application server. I understand that any webapplication in that webserver can get and return connections from that pool. Now we want to use this in our java-projects ...

  1. connection pooling in java

    Hi,

    We use connectionpooling in our webapplications. The connectionpooling is
    setup in our application server. I understand that any webapplication in
    that webserver can get and return connections from that pool.

    Now we want to use this in our java-projects too but ... how is it
    implemented ?

    I mean, each application runs in a user's VM. When connections are
    required, where's the pool from which to retrieve the connections?

    Are these connection pools created inside each application and used by that
    application only?
    (like: AS400ConnectionPool appPool = new AS400ConnectionPool();

    thanks for guiding me...

  2. Re: connection pooling in java

    The connection pools are provided by the container so they're not
    available for your stand-alone applications to use (directly).

    Patrick Goovaerts wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We use connectionpooling in our webapplications. The connectionpooling is
    > setup in our application server. I understand that any webapplication in
    > that webserver can get and return connections from that pool.
    >
    > Now we want to use this in our java-projects too but ... how is it
    > implemented ?
    >
    > I mean, each application runs in a user's VM. When connections are
    > required, where's the pool from which to retrieve the connections?
    >
    > Are these connection pools created inside each application and used by that
    > application only?
    > (like: AS400ConnectionPool appPool = new AS400ConnectionPool();
    >

    > thanks for guiding me...

  3. Re: connection pooling in java

    Not all connections pools are provided by a container, but I'd suspect
    most that aren't container pools
    (com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnectionPool is an example) would only
    pool connections within the JVM.

    Now having written this, it seems like I heard or read about some JDBC
    pooling done on a server for a whole set of clients. But it seems like
    there could be a lot of issues to consider that would make the
    single-JVM pooling adequate for most situations.

    -Stevers

    Patrick Goovaerts wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We use connectionpooling in our webapplications. The connectionpooling is
    > setup in our application server. I understand that any webapplication in
    > that webserver can get and return connections from that pool.
    >
    > Now we want to use this in our java-projects too but ... how is it
    > implemented ?
    >
    > I mean, each application runs in a user's VM. When connections are
    > required, where's the pool from which to retrieve the connections?
    >
    > Are these connection pools created inside each application and used by that
    > application only?
    > (like: AS400ConnectionPool appPool = new AS400ConnectionPool();
    >

    > thanks for guiding me...

  4. Re: connection pooling in java

    meaning...

    there are some possibilities to install a 'connectionpool' on a server which
    can be accessed by all clients but considering the effort and problems which
    can occur it is preferable to create a 'connectionpool' for each
    application.
    (in our case using: 'com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnectionPool')
    Needless to say that the connection pool is created only when heavy
    data-access is needed.

    This also means that the following is true also?
    - "This also means that a user which loads 3 java-applications has also 3
    connection pools active"
    - "This can only avoided by attaching the application to eachother by
    another application (menu) which can do the
    connectionpooling for all apps attached. That way they are all running
    inside 1 JVM."

    thanks for your reply's.

    "Steve Johnson-Evers" wrote in message
    > Not all connections pools are provided by a container, but I'd suspect
    > most that aren't container pools
    > (com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnectionPool is an example) would only
    > pool connections within the JVM.
    >
    > Now having written this, it seems like I heard or read about some JDBC
    > pooling done on a server for a whole set of clients. But it seems like
    > there could be a lot of issues to consider that would make the
    > single-JVM pooling adequate for most situations.
    >
    > -Stevers
    >
    > Patrick Goovaerts wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We use connectionpooling in our webapplications. The connectionpooling

    is
    > > setup in our application server. I understand that any webapplication

    in
    > > that webserver can get and return connections from that pool.
    > >
    > > Now we want to use this in our java-projects too but ... how is it
    > > implemented ?
    > >
    > > I mean, each application runs in a user's VM. When connections are
    > > required, where's the pool from which to retrieve the connections?
    > >
    > > Are these connection pools created inside each application and used by

    that
    > > application only?
    > > (like: AS400ConnectionPool appPool = new AS400ConnectionPool();
    > >

    > > thanks for guiding me...

  5. Re: connection pooling in java

    Yes, yes and yes.

    I think you're taking the approach that I would take.

    -Stevers

+ Reply to Thread