using WSAD 5.0 with CVSNT 2.0.58 - Websphere

This is a discussion on using WSAD 5.0 with CVSNT 2.0.58 - Websphere ; Hello, I'm trying to use WSAD 5.0 with CVSNT 2.0.58, but in the CVS perspective, both Branches and Head are empty, I can't view the content of CVS repository. but when using the WinCVS tool, we can checkout the module ...

  1. using WSAD 5.0 with CVSNT 2.0.58

    Hello,

    I'm trying to use WSAD 5.0 with CVSNT 2.0.58,
    but in the CVS perspective, both Branches and Head are empty,
    I can't view the content of CVS repository.

    but when using the WinCVS tool, we can checkout the module and every
    thing is all right.

    is there any incompatibility between the two versions.

    thanks for help.

  2. Re: using WSAD 5.0 with CVSNT 2.0.58

    >From Eclipse site:

    http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index...html#server_1a

    "...

    1. What server versions of CVS are supported by Eclipse?

    In 3.0, Eclipse supports CVS version 1.11.1p1 or higher, running on a
    Linux or UNIX server. Eclipse 2.1.2 and before does not work with CVS
    versions greater than 1.11.6 (see next point). Eclipse does not
    officially support running CVSNT on a Windows server, but varied
    degrees of success have been achieved. In this case, CVSNT version
    1.11.1.1 or higher must be used. There have also been some problems
    reported with HPUX and Solaris version (see above).

    2. Why doesn't Eclipse 2.1.x work with CVS server versions 1.11.7 and
    beyond?

    Most of the interesting Eclipse CVS functionality relies on the format
    of the messages and the change in format made in 1.11.7 breaks the
    parsing in Eclipse versions proir to 2.1.3. Most of the
    incompatibilities for 1.11.x were adressed in 2.1.3. See bugs 46655 and
    49056 for patches and workarounds for previous versions of Eclipse or
    remaining incompatibilities. As for 1.12.x releases of CVS, Eclipse
    2.1.x is not compatible with this server version. Eclipse 3.0 is
    compatible with 1.12.7 but future releases of CVS may cause similar
    breakages. In such cases, Team>Update and Team>Commit should still work
    but the more advanced workflows (e.g. synchronizing) may not be
    reliable.

    3. Why isn't CVSNT supported?

    The reason CVSNT isn't supported is because traditionally its
    development effort has been smaller and has lagged behind that of CVS
    Linux, thus its quality tends to be of issue. Our experience is that
    every new version of CVSNT has subtle bugs which are specific to it,
    while as CVS Linux has been comparatively and consistently solid. We
    fix CVSNT bugs where time permits but we don't include it in our test
    passes for reasons above. In general those who are 'serious' about it
    choose CVS Linux for reliability (eg. eclipse.org), which at that scale
    (e.g. corporate code storage) warrants a dedicated machine anyway with
    an appropriately chosen OS. If the community feels that a greater CVSNT
    effort is warranted, then this would be an excellent avenue for
    community contribution.

    4. But I really need to use CVSNT. What is the best way to configue
    CVSNT to work with Eclipse?

    As of this writting, the latest CVSNT build (2.0.41a) can be configured
    to act as a Unix server. Using these settings seems to work quite well
    with Eclipse. What you need to do is the following two things:

    - Configure CVSNT to use a repository prefix.
    - On the Advanced tab of the CVSNT Control Panel, enable the "Pretend
    to be a Unix server" option.

    ...."

    Ciao, D.

+ Reply to Thread