Putting sources in workspace is ok? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Putting sources in workspace is ok? - Websphere ; I am working with WebSphere 5.1.2. My workspace is located in D:\ibm\ws and my project sources are currently in the directory in D:\projects\pre1 So both components (the websphere settings and the source are in different directory trees) I imported the ...

  1. Putting sources in workspace is ok?

    I am working with WebSphere 5.1.2. My workspace is located in D:\ibm\ws and my project
    sources are currently in the directory in D:\projects\pre1

    So both components (the websphere settings and the source are in different directory trees)

    I imported the already existing projects into websphere.

    Is it allowed or is it moreover recommended to join both parts into one?
    Read: Should I move the sources to D:\ibm\ws\projects\pre1?

    What is the easiest way to adjust the internal pathes to the new location?

    Or do I have to completely delete from WSAD, then move and finally re-import the project source files again ?

    Rod

  2. Re: Putting sources in workspace is ok?

    You can have your workspace and projects in the same directory, no need
    to import. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use the -data
    switch with your startup shortcut as follows:
    -> \Path\to\WSAD\wsappdev.exe -data \Path\to\Workspace
    example: C:\opt\IBM\wsad\v5.1.2\wsappdev.exe -data D:\projects\pre1
    When WSAD starts up, it will use D:\projects\pre1 as it's default
    workspace.

    cheers
    -- dan

    Rod Newton wrote:
    > I am working with WebSphere 5.1.2. My workspace is located in D:\ibm\ws and my project
    > sources are currently in the directory in D:\projects\pre1
    >
    > So both components (the websphere settings and the source are in different directory trees)
    >
    > I imported the already existing projects into websphere.
    >
    > Is it allowed or is it moreover recommended to join both parts into one?
    > Read: Should I move the sources to D:\ibm\ws\projects\pre1?
    >
    > What is the easiest way to adjust the internal pathes to the new location?
    >
    > Or do I have to completely delete from WSAD, then move and finally re-import the project source files again ?
    >
    > Rod

  3. Re: Putting sources in workspace is ok?

    Rod,
    starting from Eclipse 2.1.x (WSAD 5.1.x) the projects are not forced to
    be inside the workspace directory. When you create a project you are
    free to have your project directories in different location in the file
    system.
    When you "import existing projects" that are out of your workspace
    directory they will remain where they are, they will not moved inside
    the workspace. Eclipse simply update ".metadata" files to map your
    projects and the workspace dir will be empty.

    In Daniel answer you have to work with two workspaces.
    Hope this help, Dario.

+ Reply to Thread