Daemon task in Websphere environment - Websphere

This is a discussion on Daemon task in Websphere environment - Websphere ; What is the best way to develop/deploy a daemon-type process under WAS (we're using 5.0)? We have several processes that need to run periodically, no web interface or anything. They do need database access and using the datasources available via ...

  1. Daemon task in Websphere environment

    What is the best way to develop/deploy a daemon-type process under WAS
    (we're using 5.0)?

    We have several processes that need to run periodically, no web interface or
    anything. They do need database access and using the datasources available
    via WAS simplifies the userid/password issues of just running java tasks via
    cron or whatever.

    Any pointers/examples/etc.??

    TIA
    Cary

  2. Re: Daemon task in Websphere environment

    Cary Coulter wrote:

    >What is the best way to develop/deploy a daemon-type process under WAS
    >(we're using 5.0)?
    >
    >We have several processes that need to run periodically, no web interface or
    >anything. They do need database access and using the datasources available
    >via WAS simplifies the userid/password issues of just running java tasks via
    >cron or whatever.
    >
    >Any pointers/examples/etc.??
    >
    >TIA
    >Cary

    WAS Enterprise edition has Asynch Beans to handle just this thing.

    Otherwise, you can write a Custom Service to do it yourself.

    Ken

  3. Re: Daemon task in Websphere environment

    we are using Network Deployment -- not Enterprise.

    what do you mean by a "custom service"?

    "Ken Hygh" wrote in message
    > Cary Coulter wrote:
    >
    > >What is the best way to develop/deploy a daemon-type process under WAS
    > >(we're using 5.0)?
    > >
    > >We have several processes that need to run periodically, no web interface

    or
    > >anything. They do need database access and using the datasources

    available
    > >via WAS simplifies the userid/password issues of just running java tasks

    via
    > >cron or whatever.
    > >
    > >Any pointers/examples/etc.??
    > >
    > >TIA
    > >Cary
    > >

    > WAS Enterprise edition has Asynch Beans to handle just this thing.
    >
    > Otherwise, you can write a Custom Service to do it yourself.
    >
    > Ken

  4. Re: Daemon task in Websphere environment

    Cary Coulter wrote:
    > What is the best way to develop/deploy a daemon-type process under WAS
    > (we're using 5.0)?
    >
    > We have several processes that need to run periodically, no web interface or
    > anything. They do need database access and using the datasources available
    > via WAS simplifies the userid/password issues of just running java tasks via
    > cron or whatever.
    >
    > Any pointers/examples/etc.??
    >
    > TIA
    > Cary

    We're using the j2ee scheduler that Web Age has on Sourceforge. It's
    very simple, maybe too simple, but easily modified to suit a custom
    purpose. There is at least one other Java scheduler on Sourceforge.

  5. Re: Daemon task in Websphere environment

    Cary Coulter wrote:

    >we are using Network Deployment -- not Enterprise.
    >
    >what do you mean by a "custom service"?

    google 'websphere custom service'

    Ken

+ Reply to Thread