Problem with Web Service and Microsoft clients - Websphere

This is a discussion on Problem with Web Service and Microsoft clients - Websphere ; I have a web service that was written using WSAD 5.1. The service works perfectly when using a java client, and even works with a .Net client. However, the VB 6 client blows up. I was working with one of ...

  1. Problem with Web Service and Microsoft clients

    I have a web service that was written using WSAD 5.1. The service works
    perfectly when using a java client, and even works with a .Net client.
    However, the VB 6 client blows up. I was working with one of our Microsoft
    coders, and we noticed that the service is returning different info to the
    Microsoft clients (vb and .net) than it is to java. Here is a snippet of
    what I get from Java.

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: WebSphere Application Server/5.0
    Connection: close

    But on the Microsoft clients, it returns this:

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: WebSphere Application Server/5.0
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked

    169b

    Any idea why it returns this string "169b" before the XML begins? The .Net
    clients seems to ignore it, but VB blows up and can't parse the response.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Brian Norwood

  2. Re: Problem with Web Service and Microsoft clients

    Brian Norwood wrote:

    > Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    >
    > 169b
    >

    > Any idea why it returns this string "169b" before the XML begins? The .Net
    > clients seems to ignore it, but VB blows up and can't parse the response.

    Does a chunked encoding have a byte count preceding each chunk?

  3. Re: Problem with Web Service and Microsoft clients

    Hi,

    I can't say that we did any testing with VB 6 as you describe. We used the
    Supply Chain Management sample and the .Net client in Sample 9 (which is
    written in VB) to show interoperability. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not an
    expert on Microsoft products, but would you not have to be using a .Net
    version of VB in order for your client to communicate with the Web service?

    --

    Regards,

    Andy Clarke
    IBM e-BIT Java Development

    "Brian Norwood" wrote in message
    > I have a web service that was written using WSAD 5.1. The service works
    > perfectly when using a java client, and even works with a .Net client.
    > However, the VB 6 client blows up. I was working with one of our

    Microsoft
    > coders, and we noticed that the service is returning different info to the
    > Microsoft clients (vb and .net) than it is to java. Here is a snippet of
    > what I get from Java.
    >
    > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    > Server: WebSphere Application Server/5.0
    > Connection: close
    >

    > But on the Microsoft clients, it returns this:
    >
    > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    > Server: WebSphere Application Server/5.0
    > Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    >
    > 169b
    >

    > Any idea why it returns this string "169b" before the XML begins? The

    ..Net
    > clients seems to ignore it, but VB blows up and can't parse the response.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > Brian Norwood

  4. Re: Problem with Web Service and Microsoft clients

    Our Microsoft folks access webservices with VB using the MS Soap Toolkit 3.
    The problem with the chunked data went away once they started using version
    3.0. However, the 3.0 toolkit does cause a problem that we had to work
    around. When it calls the webservice, it passes Content-Type "utf-8" with
    quotes around utf-8. This caused WebSphere to throw an unsupported content
    type exception. To work around this, I created a servlet filter that
    intercepts requests to the WebServicesServlet, and strips out any quotes
    from the Content-Type. Now our VB clients can talk happily to WebSphere.
    This may have been more info than you wanted

    Thanks

    Brian

    "Andy Clarke" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I can't say that we did any testing with VB 6 as you describe. We used

    the
    > Supply Chain Management sample and the .Net client in Sample 9 (which is
    > written in VB) to show interoperability. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not an
    > expert on Microsoft products, but would you not have to be using a .Net
    > version of VB in order for your client to communicate with the Web

    service?

    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy Clarke
    > IBM e-BIT Java Development
    >

    > "Brian Norwood" wrote in message
    > > I have a web service that was written using WSAD 5.1. The service works
    > > perfectly when using a java client, and even works with a .Net client.
    > > However, the VB 6 client blows up. I was working with one of our

    > Microsoft
    > > coders, and we noticed that the service is returning different info to

    the
    > > Microsoft clients (vb and .net) than it is to java. Here is a snippet

    of
    > > what I get from Java.
    > >
    > > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    > > Server: WebSphere Application Server/5.0
    > > Connection: close
    > >

    > > But on the Microsoft clients, it returns this:
    > >
    > > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    > > Server: WebSphere Application Server/5.0
    > > Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    > >
    > > 169b
    > >

    > > Any idea why it returns this string "169b" before the XML begins? The

    > .Net
    > > clients seems to ignore it, but VB blows up and can't parse the

    response.

    > > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > >
    > > Brian Norwood

+ Reply to Thread