Admin user gets logged out from the portal - Websphere

This is a discussion on Admin user gets logged out from the portal - Websphere ; Hi, I have this weird problem where the admin user can log into the portal (WPS5) without problem, but as soon as he tries to access any other page in the portal he is instantly thrown out. Does anyone have ...

  1. Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Hi,

    I have this weird problem where the admin user can log into the portal (WPS5) without problem, but as soon as he tries to access any other page in the portal he is instantly thrown out. Does anyone have a clue what is wrong here?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Does this only happen with the admin user or with all users? Are there
    any exceptions in the log files?

    Oliver

  3. Re: Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Thanks for your reply Oliver. No, this only affects the admin account to my knowledge. Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have access to the machine and therefore I haven't yet been able to check the log files.

  4. Re: Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Finally got access to the machine. Nothing is being logged, but I have not turned on any specific tracing. Only checked SystemOut & SystemErr. Observed that the problem appears when logging in with the admin account from a public URL. If I try from an internal URL (i.e. change the IP-address of the machine to a non-external address) then it works, but everything is really slow.

    To clarify things a little bit further, when I log in with the admin account from an external URL, I'm logged in and I'm transferred to the "main" portal page. But as soon as I click on any link whatsoever I'm logged out to the login-page again.

    Any idea what's wrong?

  5. Re: Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Hm... when you log in, a LTPA token (cookie) gets created. If, for some
    reason, this cookie gets lost (e.g. blocked when you access portal from
    a public URL), then portal would not recognize you as authenticated user
    and therefore redirecting to the login page. However, in this case all
    users would be affected, not the admin account only.

    Oliver

  6. Re: Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Thanks for your help Oliver! I'll try to look into this. But if the authentication cookie is blocked, then would I be logged in in the first place? It must get lost in subsequent requests then...

  7. Re: Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Sanity check:

    You're not logged on in another browser tab with a non-admin user, are you?

    pascal

  8. Re: Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Nope, I'm not.

  9. Re: Admin user gets logged out from the portal

    Hmmm... Thanks to your help Oliver, I have narrowed in on the problem. I turned on "Cookie verification" in Firefox and then I could see that directly when I log in, the portal sets a cookie. But when I'm transferred to the "main" page, a portlet tries to change the already existing cookie. If I deny the cookie to be changed it works, but the portlet that tries to change the cookie naturally does not work! So now I know that the portlet messes with the login cookie in a way that the portal does not like...

+ Reply to Thread