JSF Validators and Convertors erasing values from form fields inWebSphere Portal, but not AppServer - Websphere

This is a discussion on JSF Validators and Convertors erasing values from form fields inWebSphere Portal, but not AppServer - Websphere ; Hi, I am using JSF in WebSphere Portal and I have noticed that the validators and converters erase the value that the user has entered in the input field if the logic required for them to validate/convert is incorrect (say ...

  1. JSF Validators and Convertors erasing values from form fields inWebSphere Portal, but not AppServer

    Hi,

    I am using JSF in WebSphere Portal and I have noticed that the validators and converters erase the value that the user has entered in the input field if the logic required for them to validate/convert is incorrect (say for example you have a validateLongRange tag on a inputText control). Having read the JSF complete reference book, this seems to be misaligned with the JSF spec.

    This behaviour is not the same as in WebSphere Application Server, where the users incorrectly entered values stay in the input fields (which from a usability perspective is what the users expect).

    This seems unacceptable to me. Is there something I am doing wrong, or does JSF in WebSphere Portal really work this way? I am using Portal 6 and RAD 7- with the latest fixpacks. If this is a bug, when is it going to be fixed?

    I can correct the issue by mirroring the conversion and validation logic on the client or by storing all of the values as Strings and updating the real model myself (which seems to defeat the point of using JSF)- though I can still harness the huge advantage of the event model. How do you deal with this situation?

    Thanks,
    Richard

  2. Re: JSF Validators and Convertors erasing values from form fieldsin WebSphere Portal, but not AppServer

+ Reply to Thread