Problem Launching Admin Console in Portal Server 5.1 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Problem Launching Admin Console in Portal Server 5.1 - Websphere ; Hi, I have installed Websphere Portal Server 5.1.0.1. I wanted to start the portal server. So i fired the command "startServer WebSphere_Portal" from "AppServer/bin" and this started the server. I could even access the default portal, using the url "http://localhost:9081/wps/portal". ...

  1. Problem Launching Admin Console in Portal Server 5.1

    Hi,

    I have installed Websphere Portal Server 5.1.0.1. I wanted to start the portal server. So i fired the command "startServer WebSphere_Portal" from "AppServer/bin" and this started the server. I could even access the default portal, using the url "http://localhost:9081/wps/portal". But i am not able to find at which port the application server admin console is running.

    I looked at various files like server.xml (located at AppServer\config\cells\ps2300\nodes\ps2300\servers \WebSphere_Portal) and portdef.properties (located at AppServer\bin\wsinstance) and it all mentioned port 9091.
    But when i tried the url http://localhost:9091/admin, it fails. So now how do i start the admin console.

    Thanks,
    Yuvi

  2. Re: Problem Launching Admin Console in Portal Server 5.1

    The WAS admin console is not installed on the WebSphere_Portal server (in v5.1) by default. Start server1 and then use :9090/admin

    If you were using Portal v6 then you could use :10027/admin and not use server1 as the console is installed on WebSphere_Portal by default.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  3. Re: Problem Launching Admin Console in Portal Server 5.1

    Ok so if i have to use both the portal application and the admin console in 5.1 i will have start both the servers that is server1 (for admin console) and WebSphere_Portal (for portal application).

    One other question, now if i have to deploy an j2ee application onto the server which has the portal application installed (i.e. wps.ear which should be WebSphere_Portal). How do i go about it.

    I guess i will have to start server1 since without it i cannot access the admin console and then deploy the application with WebSphere_Portal. Is it so. Let me know if i need to make some specific configurations for this.

    Thanks,
    Yuvi

  4. Re: Problem Launching Admin Console in Portal Server 5.1

    Correct, to deploy a regular J2EE, start server1 and while installing, map the application to WebSphere_Portal instead of server1. Some people also install the adminconsole.war on the WebSphere_Portal server so you don't need server1 at all.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  5. Re: Problem Launching Admin Console in Portal Server 5.1

    If for some reason you do need a console for Portal like for TPV or something, this technote will tell you how to configure a console for the Portal JVM:

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=utf-8&lang=en

+ Reply to Thread