ntlm_auth for Portal - Websphere

This is a discussion on ntlm_auth for Portal - Websphere ; If a user has been authenticated to a domain when they log into a computer, can they be automatically logged into a portal when they start their browser? I have been looking for information on ntlm_auth and portal and so ...

  1. ntlm_auth for Portal

    If a user has been authenticated to a domain when they log into a
    computer, can they be automatically logged into a portal when they
    start their browser?

    I have been looking for information on ntlm_auth and portal and so far
    have found nothing.

    Regards,
    Vivek

  2. Re: ntlm_auth for Portal

    On Jun 9, 8:02 pm, MrHyde wrote:
    > If a user has been authenticated to a domain when they log into a
    > computer, can they be automatically logged into a portal when they
    > start their browser?
    >
    > I have been looking for information on ntlm_auth and portal and so far
    > have found nothing.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Vivek

    Hi Vivek,

    Short answer is - If you have a Tivoli suite of products, you can do
    this very easily - with limited deployment choices though. Having said
    that, the Apache's NTLM module, albeit with limitations that your
    client needs to be IE.

    Anyway a high level answer follows:
    If you have IE on Windows clients, and IIS on the server (just for the
    login part is also ok). TAM installed along with IIS, will basically
    introduce a ISAPI plugin. When the user (client browser) hits IIS his
    credentials (assuming the integrated sign on settings are ON) are now
    passed over to IIS. On the server side, the TAM plugin will pickup
    this and has capability to generate native (WebSphere specific) LTPA
    tokens. Once the token is on the client for a given URI, the rest of
    your sites should be able to transparently work whether its .NET apps
    or J2EE apps (based off WebSphere).

    Hope this helps you. Good luck

    Regards,
    Sandeep Gamare

  3. Re: ntlm_auth for Portal

    On Jun 12, 1:22 pm, sgamare wrote:

    > Hi Vivek,
    >
    > Short answer is - If you have a Tivoli suite of products, you can do
    > this very easily - with limited deployment choices though. Having said
    > that, the Apache's NTLM module, albeit with limitations that your
    > client needs to be IE.
    >
    > Anyway a high level answer follows:
    > If you have IE on Windows clients, and IIS on the server (just for the
    > login part is also ok). TAM installed along with IIS, will basically
    > introduce a ISAPI plugin. When the user (client browser) hits IIS his
    > credentials (assuming the integrated sign on settings are ON) are now
    > passed over to IIS. On the server side, the TAM plugin will pickup
    > this and has capability to generate native (WebSphere specific) LTPA
    > tokens. Once the token is on the client for a given URI, the rest of
    > your sites should be able to transparently work whether its .NET apps
    > or J2EE apps (based off WebSphere).
    >
    > Hope this helps you. Good luck
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sandeep Gamare

    Sandeep,

    Thanks for your response. This has been very helpful. We are now
    investigating the introduction of TAM into our environment to
    facilitate this.

    Cheers,
    Vivek

+ Reply to Thread