Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0? - Websphere ; Hi All, Our client has raised a bug against our Portal application because the URLs are filled with 200 or so random looking characters (as is normal for WebSphere Portal). I have tried setting a URL mapping to my pages ...

  1. Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0?

    Hi All,

    Our client has raised a bug against our Portal application because the URLs are filled with 200 or so random looking characters (as is normal for WebSphere Portal).

    I have tried setting a URL mapping to my pages so that I can have a nice "clean" url. This works - but as soon as an action is executed inside the portlet, the URL reverts back to the 200 random characters.

    Is there a way around this - or a way to enable some kind of URL re-writing feature in portal so the URLs stay clean?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Lars

  2. Re: Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0?

    We can provide more help after looking at the code of making the Clean URL and how the portlet in your portal is directly addressed.
    As far as i am aware of, portlet URL is encoded within the portal URL and is not exposed for direct addressability.

  3. Re: Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0?

    Hi

    What exactly are you trying to do?

    Is it a problem with the browser? Or the application running on the portlet?

    Sebastian "Jack" Fratini
    IBM Certified System Administrator
    Sebastian.Fratini@e-nsx.com
    NSX SA

  4. Re: Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0?

    I think he's saying that his client does not like looking at portal URLs. URL mappings only give you a handsome looking pointer to a portal page. Once you get to the page the URL reverts back to the portal URL which is needed to preserve portlet state and other info.

  5. Re: Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0?

    I see. I assumed that it was a problem with the app and not a cosmetic issue.

    If that is the case you might want to use the IHS plugin and then use rewrite rules.

    Check this links:

    http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Apache/Se...h-mod-rewrite/
    http://webdesign.about.com/od/mod_re...a/aa071006.htm

    Look for the third reason in the second link.

    I believe that is what you are looking for.

    Hope it helps.

    Regards,

    Sebastian "Jack" Fratini
    IBM Certified System Administrator
    Sebastian.Fratini@e-nsx.com
    NSX SA

  6. Re: Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0?

    I would doubt that capability, URL mapping allows one to provide a clean URL for the Content Nodes of the portal, which means the mapping for a Page or a Label from the Content Root. I think this should be the concern of your client which should get addressed by this.

    But this is just to reach that Page/Label, once user interacts with the components inside the Page/Label e.g with portlets, Portal framework comes into picture and because URL addressability works differently in portal, it throws funny looking URL's. These URL's are action/render URL's which are encoded by the portal in its own properiatary way.

    Although, it might look funny at the first instance the URL that one sees on the browser has a deep design behind it, considering the intricacies of portal. It is difficult for people comming from traditional web applications to appreciate this URL and thus i can understand the concern ur client has, but i am sure once u and your client understands the logic behind it both will appreciate it.

    The URL is actually denoting the navigational state of the portal and for more information i would request you to read the following two articles
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...0603_behl.html
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...0612_behl.html

    Hope it helps,
    Kapil.

  7. Re: Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0?

    Hi guys,

    Thank you all for your responses.

    Just to confirm - yes, this is a cosmetic issue - the client doesn't like looking at these long URLs of what they call 'junk' and claim it makes their performance testing more difficult. It also goes against usability/search-engine-optimisation guidelines that encourage short/clean urls.

    I realise that these URLs are portal's way of storing state information but I was hoping there might be an alternative configuration, such as using cookies. Thinking about this now, this probably wouldnt work as the long URL's generated portal's custom tags to trigger portlet actions have to include information about which portlet is the target of the action for example. So the URL is probably the only sensible place to put this data.

    I've had a look at the links Sebastian has sent though about using mod_rewrite. This appears to be on the right track, mod_rewrite seems to allow you to configure regular-expression based rules to convert URL parameters such as ?contentId=1523 into neat looking paths such as /content/1523. I can't see how it would be applied in WebSphere Portal's case however, as all this parameter information is scrambled/encoded and therefore couldn't really be translated using regular expressions. I'd expect mod_rewrite would have to be aware of the way Portal URLs are generated in order to map from one to the other? Can this actually be achieved?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Lars

  8. Re: Clean URLs in WebSphere Portal v6.0?

    Hi

    Mod_rewrite just hides the URL but it still transmit the data so I believe you should be fine.

    Check this http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum24/704.htm

    It might not be easy. You probably are going to need to use the[*] that redirects all of the traffic and maybe just show www.hostname.com/Portal to the users.

    I suggest you install a new apache or Xampp (or lampp) in a test environment and test with a sample site.

    But I guess your main problem is how they make their performance testing and so on. If you show them always the same address, then they won't be able to see where the traffic is heading.

    You could use Tivoli Web Site Analyzer too.

    Maybe you can redirect all of the pages starting with A to /Portal/A, and so on.

    Hope it helps.

    Regards,

    Sebastian "Jack" Fratini
    IBM Certified System Administrator