Video player portlet - Websphere

This is a discussion on Video player portlet - Websphere ; I have been given the task of doing some research to see if it is feasible to create a jsr-168 portlet that has the ability to download and play video files (not too sure of the video format yet). At ...

  1. Video player portlet

    I have been given the task of doing some research to see if it is feasible to create a jsr-168 portlet that has the ability to download and play video files (not too sure of the video format yet). At this point, we do not want to stream the video feed, because of bandwidth concerns. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have been messing around with a couple JMF tutorials, but not too sure that I am on the right track with that. It seems that JMF is more for non-portal/portlet mulitmedia playing, but I could be totally wrong with that statement. Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Joshua

  2. Re: Video player portlet

    On May 24, 8:03 am, wrote:
    > I have been given the task of doing some research to see if it is feasible to create a jsr-168 portlet that has the ability to download and play video files (not too sure of the video format yet). At this point, we do not want to stream the video feed, because of bandwidth concerns. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have been messing around with a couple JMF tutorials, but not too sure that I am on the right track with that. It seems that JMF is more for non-portal/portlet mulitmedia playing, but I could be totally wrong with that statement. Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Joshua

    There is a sample video portlet here that you can build upon.

    https://portlet-repository.dev.java..../Download.html

    Good luck,

    Rick

  3. Re: Video player portlet

    On May 24, 11:56 am, goo...@fryar.org wrote:
    > On May 24, 8:03 am, wrote:
    >
    > > I have been given the task of doing some research to see if it is feasible to create a jsr-168 portlet that has the ability to download and play video files (not too sure of the video format yet). At this point, we do not want to stream the video feed, because of bandwidth concerns. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have been messing around with a couple JMF tutorials, but not too sure that I am on the right track with that. It seems that JMF is more for non-portal/portlet mulitmedia playing, but I could be totally wrong with that statement. Any help would be much appreciated.

    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Joshua

    > There is a sample video portlet here that you can build upon.
    >
    > https://portlet-repository.dev.java..../Download.html
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Rick

    Rick,

    Thanks for the link, the portlet(s) seem like they will be a good
    starting point. Have you ever attempted to install the web app to
    websphere portal 6? It keeps failing due to a parse error in
    portlet.xml. It keeps saying the the portlet-preferences and security-
    role-ref is expected. I have added them to the portlet.xml file, but I
    still keep getting errors. Just checking to see if you, or anyone else
    has experienced this.

    Thanks,
    Joshua

  4. Re: Video player portlet

    On May 25, 10:40 am, Joshua Arnold wrote:
    > Rick,
    >
    > Thanks for the link, the portlet(s) seem like they will be a good
    > starting point. Have you ever attempted to install the web app to
    > websphere portal 6? It keeps failing due to a parse error in
    > portlet.xml. It keeps saying the the portlet-preferences and security-
    > role-ref is expected. I have added them to the portlet.xml file, but I
    > still keep getting errors. Just checking to see if you, or anyone else
    > has experienced this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joshua

    What I have done is to just take the code and use RAD (Or your
    favorite portlet development tool) and recreate your own portlet WAR
    file. It seems that all the "open" JSR 168 packages I have tried to
    install do not install cleanly and need to be repackaged to work
    properly in WPS.

    Good luck,

    Rick

+ Reply to Thread