Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0 - Websphere ; Hi All I have recently tried to create portlet Action URLs using the new portlet Navigational State SPI as described in http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...0612_behl.html I managed to create URLs but it seems that action URLs are created only when the user is ...

  1. Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    Hi All

    I have recently tried to create portlet Action URLs using the new portlet Navigational State SPI as described in http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...0612_behl.html

    I managed to create URLs but it seems that action URLs are created only when the user is an un-authenticated user that has access to the portlet, otherwise only render URLs are created even after using the PortletTargetAccessorController.

    Anybody encountered this behavior?
    I have attached the code which generate the URLs.

    10x
    Michael

  2. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    Hi Michael,

    I'm stuck in the same boat you are - and nobody seems to have the answer.

    All I could find was this APAR logged about the same issue:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...&cc=us&lang=en

    The stated fix is "makes sure that the action ID gets encoded properly into
    portlet action URLs".

    If that means anything to anybody out there, I'd LOVE to hear it!!

    Regards,
    Lars

    > Hi All
    >
    > I have recently tried to create portlet Action URLs
    > using the new portlet Navigational State SPI as
    > described in
    > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/librar
    > y/techarticles/0612_behl/0612_behl.html
    >
    > I managed to create URLs but it seems that action
    > URLs are created only when the user is an
    > un-authenticated user that has access to the portlet,
    > otherwise only render URLs are created even after
    > using the PortletTargetAccessorController.
    >
    > Anybody encountered this behavior?
    > I have attached the code which generate the URLs.
    >
    > 10x
    > Michael

  3. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    Quick update...

    This APAR is listed as fixed in a new update for Portal - 6.01:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...wg27008899#601

    Which can download here:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...ct688websphere

    I haven't tried this yet, but hopefully this will fix our problem!

    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > I'm stuck in the same boat you are - and nobody seems
    > to have the answer.
    >
    > All I could find was this APAR logged about the same
    > issue:
    > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&context=
    > SWH30&q1=PK38226&uid=swg1PK38226&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc
    > =us&lang=en
    >
    > The stated fix is "makes sure that the action ID gets
    > encoded properly into
    > portlet action URLs".
    >
    > If that means anything to anybody out there, I'd LOVE
    > to hear it!!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Lars
    >
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > I have recently tried to create portlet Action

    > URLs
    > > using the new portlet Navigational State SPI as
    > > described in
    > >

    > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/librar
    >
    > > y/techarticles/0612_behl/0612_behl.html
    > >
    > > I managed to create URLs but it seems that action
    > > URLs are created only when the user is an
    > > un-authenticated user that has access to the

    > portlet,
    > > otherwise only render URLs are created even after
    > > using the PortletTargetAccessorController.
    > >
    > > Anybody encountered this behavior?
    > > I have attached the code which generate the URLs.
    > >
    > > 10x
    > > Michael

  4. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    10x for the pointer, it seems exactly like our problem. I will download and try.

  5. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    I've upgraded to 6.0.1 and still can't manage to get this to work, so don't hold your breath. If you do get it working though I'd love to hear about it!

  6. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    Hurrah! Finally got this to work!

    The other thing I was doing wrong was that I was passing in the wrong parameter for the "portlet window id". I was using the uniquename of the element from my XmlAccess export, where in fact I needed to use the uniquename of the containing element. I had to go back to an old 2005 developerWorks article to find this aspect of things explained clearly.

    Argh! Only IBM could possibly conceive of a way to make passing parameters from one page to another this hard!
    (Sorry, had to get that off my chest!)

  7. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    I am totaly with you, why not support simple URLs for passing parameters to portlets? Why do we need to use a hidden parameter in order to identify the portlet in a URL?

  8. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    Hi Lars,

    Thanks a lot for the post.. i had the same problem.. even i was using the unique name of the portlet instance instead of the component's unique name.. its a very critical issue for us and almost wasted 3 days on this.. and this post solved my problem

    thnx a ton for ur post again..

    Cheers!!
    Katta

  9. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    Hi:

    I am also using the unique portlet name. Would someone please advice me how to use the component unique's name?

    Thanks.

  10. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    These instructions are for 5.1, but you must do the same thing in 6:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=utf-8&lang=en

  11. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    Hi Quan,

    As far as i know the unique name for the component (alias portlet window) can be given only if you create the page throu xmlaccess script.

    Herez the samle snippet of xmlaccess for page creation and giving unique name for the component of the portlet.

    Part of page creation script..

    Hope this helps..

    Cheers!!
    Katta

  12. Re: Generating action url using the portlet SPI under portal 6.0

    Hi, thanks for the info in this thread. It did solve a problem I've been working on for the past 2 days. If only IBM would document more thoroughly. Or, even better, just make it so it's intuitive!

+ Reply to Thread