How to transfer an environment (configuration, portlets... everything) from staging to production? - Websphere

This is a discussion on How to transfer an environment (configuration, portlets... everything) from staging to production? - Websphere ; Hello. I have a UAT (staging) environment from which I'd like to copy a virtual portal into production, but I can't get it to work. Here are the steps I took: 1) In UAT, under "Manage Pages" I did an ...

  1. How to transfer an environment (configuration, portlets... everything) from staging to production?

    Hello.

    I have a UAT (staging) environment from which I'd like to copy a
    virtual portal into production, but I can't get it to work.

    Here are the steps I took:

    1) In UAT, under "Manage Pages" I did an export from the Home page of
    my virtual portal (ibm.portal.Home). We'll call that file
    PageExport.xml

    2) I copied everything from "{uat_portal_server_root}\deployed
    \archive" to "{prod_portal_server_root}\deployed\archive".

    3) In the production environment, I created a virtual portal with the
    same name as the virtual portal in UAT. We'll call that name "VP".

    4) I placed the pageExport.xml file into the '{portal_server_root}
    \bin' directory.

    5) I ran the following from the command prompt in the
    '{portal_server_root}\bin' directory:

    xmlaccess.bat -in PageExport.xml -user wpsadmin -passord {password} -
    url {portalURLort}/wps/config/VP -out errors.xml

    -------------

    This didn't work. I ended up with the following error ({UniqueName} is
    a substitute for the actual unique name):

    build="wp6001_072" type="update" version="6.0.0.1"
    xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="PortalConfig_1.4.0.2.xsd">

    com.ibm.wps.command.xml.XmlCommandException:
    EJPXA0025E: The resource was not found in the portal, either because
    it does not exist or because you have not specified an identifying
    attribute in the XML input. [portlet-app 2_CMO9RGC2008G8021160V180AU6
    uniquename={UniqueName} uid=wcm.contentviewer.1001.1.$cloned.
    2_CMO9RGC2008G8021160V180AU6]

    Now, I've removed that particular section from my PageExport.xml, but
    then the next "portlet-app 2_..." throws an error.

    I'm pretty sure that the right way of doing this isn't to remove every
    single portlet-app from PageExport.xml (otherwise, you'd think it
    wouldn't be there to begin with), but I've got no idea what to do at
    this point.

    I'm thinking that I haven't got all my files copied properly, but I'm
    at a loss as to how to go about doing so. For example, I have no idea
    where to find all my cloned portlets (portlets that I copied [like Web
    Content Viewer] multiple times).

    Have I missed something? Any one have any suggestions?

    I'm a novice to WebSphere and I suppose I'm still looking for that
    "press this button to do a full copy" option. I have no problem with
    doing an empty re-install and copying over the entire UAT portal if
    need be.

  2. Re: How to transfer an environment (configuration, portlets... everything) from staging to production?

    On Mar 8, 9:29 am, "Neil McFarlane" wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have a UAT (staging) environment from which I'd like to copy a
    > virtual portal into production, but I can't get it to work.
    >
    > Here are the steps I took:
    >
    > 1) In UAT, under "Manage Pages" I did an export from the Home page of
    > my virtual portal (ibm.portal.Home). We'll call that file
    > PageExport.xml
    >
    > 2) I copied everything from "{uat_portal_server_root}\deployed
    > \archive" to "{prod_portal_server_root}\deployed\archive".
    >
    > 3) In the production environment, I created a virtual portal with the
    > same name as the virtual portal in UAT. We'll call that name "VP".
    >
    > 4) I placed the pageExport.xml file into the '{portal_server_root}
    > \bin' directory.
    >
    > 5) I ran the following from the command prompt in the
    > '{portal_server_root}\bin' directory:
    >
    > xmlaccess.bat -in PageExport.xml -user wpsadmin -passord {password} -
    > url {portalURLort}/wps/config/VP -out errors.xml
    >
    > -------------
    >
    > This didn't work. I ended up with the following error ({UniqueName} is
    > a substitute for the actual unique name):
    >
    > > build="wp6001_072" type="update" version="6.0.0.1"
    > xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="PortalConfig_1.4.0.2.xsd">
    >
    > com.ibm.wps.command.xml.XmlCommandException:
    > EJPXA0025E: The resource was not found in the portal, either because
    > it does not exist or because you have not specified an identifying
    > attribute in the XML input. [portlet-app 2_CMO9RGC2008G8021160V180AU6
    > uniquename={UniqueName} uid=wcm.contentviewer.1001.1.$cloned.
    > 2_CMO9RGC2008G8021160V180AU6] >

    > Now, I've removed that particular section from my PageExport.xml, but
    > then the next "portlet-app 2_..." throws an error.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that the right way of doing this isn't to remove every
    > single portlet-app from PageExport.xml (otherwise, you'd think it
    > wouldn't be there to begin with), but I've got no idea what to do at
    > this point.
    >
    > I'm thinking that I haven't got all my files copied properly, but I'm
    > at a loss as to how to go about doing so. For example, I have no idea
    > where to find all my cloned portlets (portlets that I copied [like Web
    > Content Viewer] multiple times).
    >
    > Have I missed something? Any one have any suggestions?
    >
    > I'm a novice to WebSphere and I suppose I'm still looking for that
    > "press this button to do a full copy" option. I have no problem with
    > doing an empty re-install and copying over the entire UAT portal if
    > need be.

    Oh, I should point out that I'm running WebSphere v. 6.

+ Reply to Thread